Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

alternate lives

Sorry I've been absent.  I have a new Diane Gabaldon audio book and I have just  gotten lost in it!  It's historical romance with a time-travel twist so the heroine, a nurse during WWII, goes back to 18th century Scotlandand falls in love with a handsome, dashing, well-educated Scot.  Lots of good history, with the people fleshed out and memorable. (Bonnie Prince Charlie is charming and  endearing, but not smart enough to take good advice.)  Lots of hot sex.  Lots of trying to save lives without antibiotics.  It makes me SO grateful to live here and now.

Our weekend was low-key. The most exciting thing we did was to try a Volkswalk that was going on in our neighborhood.  We took a 5K route and found it surprisingly enjoyable, so we joined the organization and look forward to more of the same. It's just too easy to sit around the house and fall into the computer.  We need to get our old bones out and moving.

Unlike the rest of the US, our weekend was cool and damp.  I think the high for the whole weekend was 63 degrees.  We had a couple of rip-snorting thunderstorms sweep through at night, and one toad-strangler that washed over us on Saturday.  Sunday, we went to the farmer's market and got fresh radishes, carrots, goat cheese and hummus.  We considered buying and trying some Yak from the exotic meats ranch, but decided to wait a bit longer.  They also raise elk, emu, ostrich and bison.   Maybe an exotic barbecue this summer?  We could play, "Guess what you're eating."  Would you come?

9 Comments:

  • At 8:37 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    We used to do the Volkwalk walks around Portland although we never joined. Our friends were members and we'd walk with them.
    There are places where you can go get a map and do the walk on your own--like the Portland bridge walk.
    Enjoy!

     
  • At 8:53 AM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    The exotic BBQ could be fun!

     
  • At 9:37 AM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    You are just discovering Outlander? Have fun. Those books are loooooong and there are a bunch of them. I admit I lost interest after #5 or 6.

     
  • At 1:27 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Heck, yes, I'd come!

    Our farmer's markets start this Saturday and I am really looking forward to going. Fresh, home-grown veggies!!!

     
  • At 4:13 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Guess what your eating....hmmm, sounds interesting. I have had elk and buffalo before. I wonder how big a leg or breast is from an emu or ostrich!

     
  • At 8:19 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    Would you come? In a heartbeat! I love that lost in a book feeling. Happy for you.

     
  • At 5:02 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    That wouldn't be the Outlander series would it? I loved the audio books. The narrator is wonderful. I listened to several of them until the history started to overpower the story.

    A friend took us to an authentic Korean restaurant (no english on the menu) and ordered a selection of dishes. We played Guess what You're Eating and I decided I'd rather not know.

     
  • At 11:35 AM , Blogger mplanck said...

    I always love reading your blogs, Roxie. You're such an original. I'm going to finish getting dressed (still in pajama bottoms) and take a walk. I hear the cry of the peacock once again in the neighborhood. But can find nothing on whether they're edible. ? :-)

     
  • At 12:51 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    I got lost in that book too! Enjoy.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home