Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, May 31, 2012

The rainbow goddess

I think Iris was the goddess of the rainbow?  LG and I took a tour of a local Iris grower's display gardens and my head is just crammed with color!  Between beards and falls and cups and veining and edgings, Irises have enough color options to make the poor old goddess cross-eyed!  I post some eye-candy just for the fun of it.  (I do love digital cameras which allow you to take a gazillion photos and throw away the .99 gazillion that would have been a gross waste of film.)





The display gardens were planted with more than irises, and whoever laid them out had an eye for design.  These huge pink poppies want to be calendar girls!

And the vivid pink of this peony amidst the navy blue iris just took my breath away.  I am SO glad our yard is shady, because I wanted to buy them all and would have gone stark staring crazy trying to decide which to get. (some of the new ones are $65 a corm- or bulb - or whatever they grow from.) But irises like lots and lots of sun.  They bloom in the spring with the glory of a lovely high-school cheerleader who marries and gets pregnant right after graduation.  Then the bloom fades, and the rest of the year is all spiky leaves and dark roots, and fading into the background.  And they get fussy, needing extra support and lots of maintenance, so I'm just as glad I can't have any.

And I'm delighted that other people love and pamper them.  They are such a treat for the eyes!

Then there are the names!  A bi-colored one called,"Toucan Tango!"  A little brown and yellow one called "Bumblebee."  Evidently iris growers constantly seek to develop a black iris and this garden held sable petaled beauties named  after every piece of music you can think of with black in the title."Paint it Black","Black Magic," "After Midnight, . . ."

In fact, this grower names a lot of their irises with music titles.  It might be fun to do a musical tour of the garden sometime.  Can you sing this iris? "When the Deep Purple falls, over sleepy garden walls . . ."  This is an expedition that we should make an annual event.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:02 PM , Blogger grins said...

    I like the way the name Toucan Tango rolls off the tongue. We owned a big house built in 1903 with a big block of cement on the side that said Sunny Blossom. Irises everywhere. None as pretty as these.

     
  • At 10:01 PM , Anonymous Patricia Lichen said...

    Yowza--what is the name this rainbow garden?

    (Love the cheerleader analogy!)

     
  • At 4:41 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I love the fact that flowers never clash no matter what colors they are. You can have pinks, reds, blues, purples in all shades right next to each other and it all looks perfect.

    Unfortunately, the smell of Iris gives me a headache. I love to look at them.

    And I said the same thing about digital photography over the weekend. I can click away and not worry about how much developing is going to cost me. Remember mailing film away and anxiously waiting for it to come back?

     
  • At 8:19 AM , Anonymous Patricia Lichen said...

    And by the way, Roxie, I don't think I've mentioned recently how much I LOVE the haiku and limericks you leave on my blog on Fridays! They are invariably thought-provoking, clever, or funny--and somehow you manage to produce them in the wee hours of daylight while I am still snoozing. So fun to wake up and find another one waiting. Thank you!

     
  • At 9:45 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    last month I pulled up 2 big bunches from my yard. Beautiful plants for a short time. I love the pictures.

     
  • At 11:19 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I plan to visit an iris farm in N. Salem area on Sunday (if weather permits) and take pictures. They are lovely flowers.

     
  • At 8:02 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Beautiful! How I love to visit gardens--I can enjoy the beauty and not have to do the upkeep or invest in the plants :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home