Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, May 12, 2012

cake fail and tea-party report

I was making Carrot cake from scratch, which is usually a guaranteed win, but I found I was out of vegetable oil.  We have lots of olive oil.  That works just the same, doesn't it?

NO!  Olive oli is not an acceptable substitute for vegetable oil in a cake.  It baked up beautifully.  It looked soo pretty!  It tasted like olive oil and then like more olive oil and finished with a heavy flavor of olive oil.  So, quick as a bunny, I dug out a butter cake recipe and added coconut and crushed pineapple and the last of the grated carrot, and stuck it in the oven.  That should work, shouldn't it?

 Nope.  Maybe if I had made cupcakes. But as twas, the cake separated as it came out of the pan.  The flavor is wonderful,but the presentation is seriously ratty. Everyone was very kind and polite and tried some  and ate everything they took, but no one felt obliged to say  it looked nice.

I fixed tea and Kona coffee and, since it's the warmest day of the year so far, I served cucumber water which went over very well.
 On the top plate are passionfruit macarons.  Second plate is gingersnaps, and on the bottom plate are DH's own recipe for Hawaiian  Chicken Waldorf salad - He used the meat from two roasted chicken thighs, 6 oz of chopped macadamia nuts, a small can of pineapple tidbits (we already had a can of chunks and a can of crushed.  I didn't see why he had to get the tidbits, but he was right.  Texturally, it was perfect) and 1/4 C Best Foods mayonnaise.  I put it on King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread rolls, and everyone just ate them up!

I put down a white table cloth, then spread a sarong over it.  Lots of tropical color.  Glass plates to let the color show through, and bright, solid-colored teacups to co-ordinate.  And a few Walmart leis scattered about because they were festive.
And for the fruit, I made honeydew melon balls with mint.  Sweet, refreshing, and no cal.  DH lost four pounds on the trip.  I found them, and they brought friends with them.  Back on Weight Watchers.

8 Comments:

  • At 5:17 PM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    Your post gave me some laughs. I love how you write! The stories about the cakes are sad but oh so funny! The olive oil flavor in the first one sounds horrible. The second one sounds pretty tasty but...you're right...not so pretty. It was sure worth a try though. Looks and sounds like a good time even though the cakes didn't go as planned. Sorry to hear about hubby's lost pounds finding you and bringing friends. That's so not fair...but your description is so funny. Thanks for smiles and laughs. Have a wonderful weekend! :-)

     
  • At 10:12 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Despite the cake fail, your table looks beautiful. What a fun and colorful theme!

     
  • At 10:33 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    "I found them (pounds) and they brought friends with them." LOL so funny and often so true for us women!!

     
  • At 8:45 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    I am really sorry about the failed cake, but the rest looks really tasty!

     
  • At 9:58 AM , Blogger mplanck said...

    Despite the cake failure (made so amusing with your gift of words), the menu sounds scrumptious! Wish I had been there to partake.

     
  • At 10:24 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    Cake fails are great, as long as they are still tasty! Chop it up, pile on some fresh fruit and whipped cream, and call it a day :)

     
  • At 4:33 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    We discovered that if you make popcorn the old fashioned way (in a heavy pot with oil) that olive oil is NOT a good substitute for vegetable oil. Total Fail.

    My go to cake (which coincidentally uses oil) is Apple Cake. It always turns out-except for when it doesn't come out of the pan. I've served many cakes in pieces since they were less than attractive.

    Oh, and as usual, your table is a visual delight.

     
  • At 9:51 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh, sweetheart-- in all the years I've been watching you throw these teas, you've had maybe three misfires. You're amazing--and so is DH.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home