Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

bird walk

LG took me birding today and I had a marvelous time!  I still need that book of Little Brown Birds for Dummies, but in the meantime, LG is getting me a great start.  We went to a wildlife refuge a few miles from here and strolled through the spring sunshine, feeling the fresh breezes and listening to the busy, busy life going on around us.  We saw warblers and flickers and a cinnamon teal and bitterns and bassoons and oboes and a log shingled with pond turtles basking in the sun.  We wandered into the middle of a shouting match between several bullfrogs.  It took us over an hour to walk almost two miles.  I love the pace of birding.  Take a few steps, stop, listen, look, look harder, then look through the binoculars.  Repeat as necessary. I am now in a sort of stunned, sensory overload state.  It's surprising how many blinders and baffles I use to get through the day.  There is SO much I don't see, hear, smell,feel.  When I take the screens down and let it all in, it feels rather like a boot to the head.

8 Comments:

  • At 4:13 PM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    Sounds like a wonderful, relaxing time. But...bassoons and oboes? Are those types of birds? Sounds like a concert of instruments and birds. ;-)

     
  • At 7:07 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Stunning isn't it?

     
  • At 7:40 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Sounds so lovely! I listened to the birds on campus today. I had never heard of a bird called a bassoon or an oboe! Only horns. Now anxious to find pics on the internet.

     
  • At 4:40 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    So, that's the appeal of birding. I never got it. But I do like the idea of ambling through the park, just absorbing life.

    That's why camping was fun when my back didn't mind sleeping on the ground.

     
  • At 4:54 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    I understand the "blinders and baffles" part. I am always amazed at what is going on around me when I stop and actually pay attention. I need to do that more.

     
  • At 5:35 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Thats why we have blinders, because it would be overload all the time and we couldn't function.

     
  • At 10:17 PM , Anonymous Patricia Lichen said...

    I thought the manhole cover was a button when I first saw the photo! Pretty!

     
  • At 9:47 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    That sounds like a lovely, noisy, spectacular and peaceful way to spend your day.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home