Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, June 04, 2012

Faux trout

 DH, under protest, modeling the latest in the dead fish hats.  This is a faux trout for his brother, the scoutmaster.  The eyes are yellow LEDs, and DH is not yet satisfied with them.  We tried inserting them into pingpong balls, but the glow was just too dim.        DH intends to continue work to improve the eerie fish light, anticipating what fun a boy scout campout could be with a yellow-eyed faux trout swimming at them through the dark.

The angler fish was received with great delight by the birthday boy, who had, in fact, seen similar fish in real life.  He activated the blinking "bait" and grinned at his wife.  She grinned back and gave him a kiss.  He remarked, smugly, "It works!"
I am learning more, design-wise with each one of these hats.  When we were at Radio Shack, picking up the LEDs, battery pack with on/off switch, and the wire needed to assemble them, the guy at the store was very interested in the project and wondered if I might consider making them to sell.  Hmmmm-maybe.  If I don't have to flog them to the public. And if I can get $50 apiece for each hat.

While I'm still doing them for the fun of it, though, I dyed some white wool with Easter Egg dye  (Really cheap after Easter is over) and  have some lovely goldfish-colored yarn dripping dry in the pavilion.  I am also thinking it might be fun to knit a rainbow trout in violet, red, orange, yellow, green, and blue stripes.  There are so many wonderful fish in the world, aren't there?  How would I do a sword fish?

5 Comments:

  • At 4:19 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    maybe a shark, or Nemo and Nemo's friend...I sent some pics!!! LOL

     
  • At 4:44 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    Blowfish!

     
  • At 7:19 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    That fish is very cool.

     
  • At 4:39 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I think I have to make one with glowing eyes for the men in my family for Christmas! That is so cool. How about the plastic light covers they sell at christmas to put over the LEDs? I don't know how easy they are to get this time of year but they might make the light look brighter. (which I assume is the idea)

     
  • At 6:29 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Great fish!! DH is a good sport for modeling.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home