Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

fabrics

So one of the fun things I did was to buy a brick of fabric squares at the Aloha Bowl Flea Market.  The people who make Hawaiian shirts have realized that they can sell their scraps with just a little trimming.  These are 400 6"squares for $16.  I finally opened the brick today and sorted them out.  Some of these are only one or two squares of a certain print, and others (evidently the better selling prints for shirts) have 20 or 30 squares.  These are going to make some wonderful Hot Tropics quilts.  And I'm thinking, maybe aprons?  Am I the only woman still alive in America who wears aprons?  These could make some wildly festive aprons.

Patchwork tea-cozies?  DH had a friend that loves loud tropical prints and wears a size xxxxx shirt.  Maybe a patchwork shirt?
On the left side here are some tropical fat quarters I got for a black, white and red patchwork.  I feel quite giddy with the possibilities.

In the meantime, I am still not quite back into real life yet.  The transition between vacation and retirement is sort of difficult to identify.  We're unpacked, Mt. Washmore has been scaled, the cats have forgiven us, and the five AM alarm is less of a shock every morning.  Knitting will happen here on Saturday.  I can't decide between pineapple upside down cake, or carrot cake with pineapple and coconut.  Ginger cookies, melon balls, chicken salad with pineapple and macadamias on King's Hawaiian sweet bread, something chocolate. Tea.  Maybe mango lemonade.  It's supposed to be warm here this weekend.  Come on down!

8 Comments:

  • At 5:32 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Wow! That is a great price for all those squares!! You are going to have fun using them!

     
  • At 4:31 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    We're looking for a warm weekend too. Your menu sounds suspiciously Hawaiian. Trying to stretch out that vacation feeling a bit longer is a good thing.

    The quilt squares are gorgeous! One of my coworkers wants to make a quilt commemorating the building we work in and the work we do. When I say, she wants to make one, what I really mean is that she wants ME to organize and make it happen. I have a feeling that is a task with way more work than I want to do!

     
  • At 4:52 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Well, I can certainly understand at your excitement over these fabric squares. They make me quite giddy just to look at them.

    And, definitely an apron!!

     
  • At 5:12 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I like the blue with the pink coi fish. Those will make some awesome quilts!

     
  • At 8:45 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I am completely immersed in all of those squares. Oh, the quilts you shall make!

     
  • At 3:25 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Beautiful colors for your quilts. I agree that the squares would make wonderful aprons. I wear one every now and then, especially when working with flour!

     
  • At 8:33 AM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    What a great deal on those tropical squares. And, how fun that must have been to open up the pack and see all the different prints.

    I wear aprons too...quite often. In fact, making more is on my long list of things I want to make. There are so many fun styles these days.

    Happy sewing!

     
  • At 6:03 PM , Blogger Tara said...

    You are just one of the intelligent few who thinks ahead (by wearing aprons). After ruining yet another of my favorite shirts while cooking, I vowed to start wearing aprons, but still have yet to get around to it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home