Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, March 08, 2012

End of the beach trip

Since the beach rental was right on the edge of a cliff next to the ocean, we got glorious sunsets.  It'sjust amazing what God can do with only one spot light and dimmer.  Of course, she can use an infinite number of gels and scrims. . .

I think sights like this are good for the soul.  It sort of makes me realize how small I am and yet, how important.  At the cabin was a print-out of the story of the young man throwing starfish into the ocean.  An old man comes by and asks him why he's doing that. "The tide is going out and if these starfish are left high and dry, they'll die."


The old man said, "But there are miles of beach here, and hundreds of starfish, and you're just one man.  You can't possibly make a difference."  The young man threw another starfish into the ocean and said, "I made a difference for that one."

I love this reminder that just because you can't do it all, you shouldn't sit back and do nothing.

My bedroom was on the west side of the house and I left the blinds up.  The full moon shone in on me, and I got a picture of it just before it set this morning.  Unfortunately, this doesn't catch the sequin path across the water.  My poetic juices have been well stirred.

Checkout was at 11.  We were only 20minutes late.  And so to our separate homes we went.  I considered stopping at the outlet mall for a bit of shopping, but realized that I didn't need anything, so put the pedal to the metal and headed over the coast range.
I paused to use the ladies' room at one of my favorite rest- stops- the Van Duzer park.  It's a temperate rain forest right through here, and to see it on a sunny day is a joyful treat.  Yes, it IS that green in March!  One the way over,two days earlier, this area was an inch deep in hail, and it had snowed the night before.  We are getting lots of temperature fluctuations right now.
And the fair Yamhill Valley is basking in the spring.  There are 14 different wineries just in this one stretch of hills.  Oregon Pinot Noir is divine and this is where she is grown.  Those fat clouds keep the grapes well watered until September and early October, when the dry season hits.  Filberts (hazelnuts) thrive here as well. It's a great area to sip and nibble your way across.

I got home about twenty minutes before DH came home from work.  Two nights apart is quite enough, thank you.  Hugging him just made my heart hop up and down!

5 Comments:

  • At 7:44 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Frequent beach visits are mandatory for my sanity. Your beach getaway sounds like a wonderful time.

     
  • At 4:49 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    The drive was just as beautiful as the destination. I never think of rain forests in the northwest.

    I have been shopping less and less lately. It seems like I need less and don't want to buy things just to spend money.

    Oh, except for the Tardis iphone cover. I fear I really NEED that (just depends on your definition of need)

     
  • At 5:12 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Love it when the moon is huge and peachy colored.

     
  • At 12:41 PM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    Judging by vocabulary I don't usually hear from you, some of your time must have been spent remembering college theatre days!
    We watched the moon rise over Willapa Bay Tues. and Wed. evenings. By Thurs. it was overcast, but all in all it was SPRING!!! at the coast. What could be better?
    Glad you all had a good time.

     
  • At 7:43 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Beautiful pictures of what sounds like a wonderful vacation

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home