Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I took a walk Tuesday

After days of rain, Monday was cold, dry and sunny, so I put on my sneakers, earmuffs and back pack, and hiked down to JoAnne's and the dollar store .  Along the way, I savored some of the sights in my neighborhood.  This sturdy old maple is well established. So much so that it has started its own fern nursery in the moss on its branches.  Ah, the verdantWillamette valley!

I noticed geese feeding on the same grass plot day after day.  I think the go there because it has so many slugs.  The slugs thrive on the abundant goose poop. (sings)n"It's the circle of liiiiiife!"


Leafless branches against a sky so blue is not a common sight around here.  White clouds, gray clouds an clouds as black as a bruise are more to be expected in late February.  Or fog.  Or rain.  You will also notice that the tree trunk is tightly twined with English Ivy,  Around here, Ivy qualifies as a noxious weed.  English Ivy and Himalayian Blackberries have divided the world between them. Ivy gets the shade and blackberries take the sun.  Colonial nations invading a new land and dispossessing the natives.  It happens all the way from plant life up to and including international politics.  American democracy is considered a noxious weed in Egypt.
Here's another invasive little thug.  They should all be so pretty!  One of the treats of living in an older neighborhood is the well-established gardens.  This place has a fig tree, an apple tree and a pear tree along the street.  This is the house that had the geese drunk on fermented apples.  The violets have spread out from the rockery, crossed the sidewalk, and are invading the parking strip.  Go Violets!

Today, Wednesday, the weatherman predicts snow in the hills around the city.  I had planned to go to my writer's group at the community college, but the college IS at the top of a hill.  Dunno if I want to chance it.  I HATE snow with a sullen, unwavering hate, and would rather not drive in it if I can at all avoid it.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:31 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I love violets and look forward to seeing them in the middle of the back yard. Unfortunately, my neighbors think of them as invasive pests and root them out.

    They have no taste.

    Your blue sky is so clear it looks like it goes on forever. I love it when the sky looks like that. We are in the middle of a grey, cloudy, misty patch of weather. You'd probably feel right at home.

     
  • At 5:10 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Did you get snow? We did, with a promise of more of it today.

     
  • At 8:43 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I love violets. So dainty.

     
  • At 8:55 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    OKay... you've ruined that song for me forever. And yes-- the violets are so very very sweet!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home