Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, February 27, 2012

planning

Sometimes I wake in the middle of the night and just lie there, savoring my warm, comfortable bed, listening to DH breathing beside me, and counting my blessings with joy. As soon as my feet hit the floor I'll be almost 62, but while I  drift between dreams and reality, I am in my prime - old enough to know better, and still strong enough to do it anyway. In that cozy semi-consciousness, my best ideas come out to play.

Last night, I dreamed about a cake.  It was pink and hat-shaped and made with strawberry jam.  I woke and began planning.  I'm going to make a pink hat cake for my birthday piece-a-palooza.  I am no master baker by any means, but this, I think I can do! I have fabulous home-made strawberry jam from Sully's.  I'm going to walk down to Joanne's and get some fondant sheets today and see if I can create fondant flowers.  Gotta have flowers on my hat.  If the fondant doesn't give the desired results, well, there are completely organic violets popping up in the back lawn, so I can always fall back on Mother Nature.

How to get everything down to the Milwaukie Center for the party?  I have half a dozen big, strong market baskets made in Ghana.  They area bit bigger on the inside than they look on the outside, and they are so well balanced that you can carry more than you are strong enough to lift.  I'll start packing baskets today.  Cups and saucers, teapot and cozy, Sugarbowl and creamer.  Paper plates. Ooooh, I'll stop at the dollarstore and see if they have pretty pink paper plates and napkins.  And maybe I'll wear my pink sequin tiara!  This is going to be so much fun!!

7 Comments:

  • At 8:11 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    You are going tohave a very happy birthday - but, shouldn't someone else be making your cake for you?

     
  • At 5:28 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    I've seen really cool lacy flowers made by drizzling melted chocolate onto wax paper...once it is cool and hardened, you can peel off the paper and affix them to your hat! Dream cake sounds lovely.

     
  • At 11:00 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    You always know how to celebrate your birthday!

    Just a thought--if you have a nightmare, please don't plan a party...

     
  • At 4:53 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I think a hat cake is perfectly doable. Use a bowl to bake the head portion and a sheet to bake the brim. Cut it where necessary. I've made some strange cakes over the years and it's always been fun.

    And tiaras are a necessary part of any birthday celebration.

     
  • At 5:04 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I see the inner magpie is six years old. =^.^=

     
  • At 8:15 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    I love your birthday.

     
  • At 8:57 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Wow-- I read backwards, and I wondered how you managed to get all that done in one day. Apparently, you didn't-- you planned for it all, and it was wonderful!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home