Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, November 12, 2011

a busy day

I want to wait till I have all the food on the table before I take the pictures, and I don't want to put the cold food out too soon, so I wind up remembering to snap photos just as people are arriving and I don't take time to fuss with stuff like lighting.  To the right you can see the carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and a ring of pecans.  Beneath that dare the lemon meringues.  To the left of them is the fruit salad (oranges, mangoes, kiwis and coconut.) the the three tiered stand from bottom up, the turkey/cheese roll-ups, the maple cream sandwich cookies, and the bourbon balls.

DH suggested that I serve the cake in single layers which was inspired.  Usually, people ask for half a slice of cake, and this way, it was just the top half.  Some of the ladies cut the slices in half anyway.  Then, to my very great delight, they went back for the second half.  Maybe even a third half?  And everyone asked for the recipe.  Yayyyy!!  The meringues were tough, but I think that had something to do with the lemon juice I flavored them with.  And the oven was a bit too warm. I will improve with practice.

 But needless to say, we feasted and frolicked as ever.

DH came home and declared that he was jonesing for pastrami, so we decided to try a deli we've never been to before.  On the way, we passed this bush.  The purple buds are berries.  Does anyone have any idea what this bush is?  I want one!

The deli was a delight and we stuffed ourselves.  We will need to return soon so I can try the matzoh-ball soup.  I had a tongue sandwich and OMG it was yummy!

Then we had to stop in at the LUSH bubble bath store, since it was a party day - the Gold Ticket promotion kick-off.  All the staff were wearing gold and sparkle and festive attire.
Isn't he just adorable?  And such a sweetie!  I wish I could remember his name.  Gold lame shorts, and formal black over-the knee socks.

Good Lord, am I really that stout?  Well, I'm still beautiful on the inside.  Pretty is as pretty does, and I do pretty well.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:21 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Callicarpa Americana. American beauty berry. You can get them at Marbott's on Columbia Boulevard, but probably at Portland Nursery, too. They're very trouble-free plants.

     
  • At 12:26 AM , Blogger Murr Brewster said...

    Made me think of my girlfriends who all get together once a month, and who do not eat sugar, flour, animal parts, or anything else other than twigs and compost--but every now and then I put out a defiant dessert, and they all decline, then slice up a square centimeter of it, then another, and somehow by the end of the evening everyone has had themselves a whole bunch of Incremental Cake.

     
  • At 1:59 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    "What is that plant with the purple berries?" No one can believe the color the first time they notice a beautyberry (Callicarpa bodinieri), which is aptly named, don't you think?
    Check it out on the web and see if the picture looks like what you saw. I am pretty sure it is!

     
  • At 8:59 PM , Anonymous Patricia Lichen said...

    Counting my blessings that enough cookie crumbs stayed in that bag so I was able to savor those bourbon balls! Whoa, Nellie!

     
  • At 10:25 PM , Anonymous LindaG said...

    Wonderful food, wonderful-er hostess. And yes, callicarpa beautyberry. I have one in my yard! Yummmm.

     
  • At 5:33 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    The food looks good, did you guys get any knitting done?

     
  • At 5:17 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Pretty well? You are amazing, both inside and out!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home