Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Regarding low- tech

I had a boss who dearly loved that meal where you take a flank-steak and pound it thin, then spread  a stuffing on it, roll it up and roast it.  Roulade I think it's called.  Well, the boss loved that dish, and his wife loved to make it for him, but pounding that flank steak looked, to him, like a lot of work.  So he decided he would make it easier for her.  One Saturday, she was out and he was home and there was a flank steak in the fridge.   Not understanding that the pounding was mostly to make it tender, he figured out a much easier way to make it flat.  He put it in a ziplock bag and took it into the garage.  (Cooks everywhere are becoming nervous as they read this.)  Being a man, he had a couple of boards lying around.  (I never seem to have a couple of boards handy when I need them.  Do you?)  He put one board on the garage floor, put the flank steak in its plastic ziplock bag on the board, put the second board on top of it, then drove his pickup over the boards.

Flank steak SPRAYED the entire underside of the pickup and the inside of the garage.  He spent the rest of the weekend washing steak off the walls, the lawnmower, the tool bench,, the underside of the pick-up, the wall full of storage shelves, and re-packing all the Christmas decorations into new boxes that were not covered with flecks of steer muscle.  And they had pizza for dinner.

And because he was a wonderful guy, with a great sense of humor, he came to work and told us the story on Monday.  I loved working for him.  He was serious about the job, but not about life in general.  Best job I ever had.  I, and six other people, were replaced (inadequately) by a computer.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:47 AM , Blogger Arlee Bird said...

    Very funny story. I used to make rouladen years ago after learning the recipe from the wife of a guy I used to work for--I love that dish. When I made it I would have the butcher flatten the steak out for me and that worked very well.


    Lee
    A Faraway View

     
  • At 8:20 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    My mom used to have the butcher run her meat through a machine to do the flattening. I used to use a meat hammer to do mine.
    I can just imagine the smell from the pieces not discovered and cleaned up right away! PHEW!!!

     
  • At 4:40 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    And here I thought the pounding was for taking out one's aggressions....

    I have a boss like that. He's not afraid to look silly and yet we all have enormous respect for him.

     
  • At 6:57 AM , Blogger sophanne said...

    This is a most excellent story

     
  • At 9:28 AM , Blogger mplanck said...

    This story would have made a perfect script for the Tim Allen TV series, Home Improvement!

     
  • At 8:50 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Yes, rouladen; I put carrot, celery, and onion sticks in the center of mine. Then stuffing on the rest and roll it up. I pound mine out with a meat hammer my little (ha!) brother made in junior high metal shop 30+ years ago. Cooking friends who see that steel hammer are envious!

     
  • At 5:21 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    buahahahahahaha!!!! Good boss-- GREAT story!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home