Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, July 18, 2011

We be cool

Things continue to be unusually cool and wet in our valley.  Yesterday,in one day,  we got as much rain as we usually get for the entire month of July.  We are looking at 75 degrees as full-on summer, and without a little more sun, even the sweet 100s cherry tomatoes won't ripen.  I know things are cruely hot in the rest of the country, and, as a five foot tall lady once told me, looking up at my 6 foot height, "It's a damn shame our natural resources are so unevenly distributed."

Quiet weekend for us, followed by a quiet Monday for me.  Candy, our old cat on pain meds is pouting because we took away her car keys.  We had to take away her cell phone, too, or she would have rung up 800 numbers and fallen asleep listening to the elevator music they play when they put you on hold.  Cats on drugs- I swear.

Fly, our second oldest cat, came in from outside, ate, then crapped on the kitchen floor.  I snatched him up by the scruff of the neck in mid-dump and carried him to the door, him bitching at me the whole way.  Before I could get the door opened with the broken wrist, he managed to twist his head around far enough to scrape my hand with his teeth.  Oh swell - just what I need! Blood poisoning in my one good hand.  I washed with soap and glopped on the neo-sporin.  Wish me luck.

8 Comments:

  • At 3:04 PM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    My garden grew several inches overnight. I'm not complaining.
    If you pick the right varieties, even of tomatoes, and get them planted in a timely manner, they will eventually ripen without 80 degree weather. Some summers that maybe in mid-Sept., leaving most of them green. A lot of it is the hours of sunlight rather that the heat per se. Did you know that in places like Texas and Oklahoma, tomatoes stop bearing in the late summer because it is too hot?
    I'm just happy not to having wrestle in the bedroom window unit AC. Low-mid 70s, even with showers and overcast, is just fine with me, especially compared to what the rest of the country is dealing with, both heat and drought - where there isn't flooding, that is. Bet they'd love to have a few weeks of our temperate weather.
    Hope your cat-scratch heals up - try a bread-and milk poultice if it begins to look inflamed. Really.
    But you know what to do if the red streaks begin to run up your arm. I've never had that happen form a cat scratch, but if I remember you have, and my mother did at one point.
    How much longer will your cast be on?

     
  • At 4:43 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Let us hope no infection

     
  • At 4:59 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    There aren't any symbols to describe how I was laughing at cats on drugs! It almost got the afraid of thunder dog out of the closet...almost.

    And the forklift line cracked mr. Sophanne up which is no easy task since he's so funny always anyway-can't wait to share this one with him.

     
  • At 5:50 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Wonder what was up Fly's butt... I mean besides poop. Maybe he wanted some of Candy's meds. Hope you don't get an infection. Brian's wish of frying up all of our tomatoes before they ripen might come to fruition. The zucchini don't mind though! Love the natural resources quote. Cheers!

     
  • At 9:15 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    It's has been a challenging week for old cats and their owners! I just realized I can put down a rug in the bathroom for the first time in 10 years and Icey can't pee on it! Ah, the small pleasures

     
  • At 11:01 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Bad kitty!

     
  • At 2:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, I think if I were in mid-crap and you yanked me off the toilet, by the nape of my neck, I'd come out swinging, too.

    I wonder why felines like to dump in the middle of a room? I guess I'll have to try it and see. When's the next time I can come over and experiment?

     
  • At 6:59 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Yes, would love some of your cooling rain. We're getting high temps, after a month of cooler temps.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home