Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Adrian's last cast

Adrian is not a fisherman.  We are not talking about fly casting here.  Nor is Adrian a theatre producer or director.  Adrian is a fit, trim 60 plus fellow with shiny grey hair and a slight bald spot, and with sparkling Norwegian blue eyes.  He is  a med tech working in the splint and cast department of the local hospital.  Or rather I should say, he was.  Yesterday was his last day at work.  And at 4:45, just before he was ready to leave, one of the triage doctors sent in his last patient.




Yup.  I broke my left wrist.  It's a distal radius fracture and I have what I think is called a sugar tongue cast to prevent rotating my wrist. 


DH and I were moving furniture back into the house.  I was backing up with my end of a piece of the bed, and missed my footing at the edge of the porch.  I fell backward and threw out my left hand to break my fall.  I heard the break and wouldn't believe it.  DH let me sit, getting my breath back while he continued moving our beds into the house.  My wrist didn't actually hurt all that much, but every time I looked at it or moved it, I wanted to throw up.  After about 20 minutes, I asked to be taken to the hospital.

So, after someone gets my hospital ID card and checks it against my driver's license, and asks me to tell them my address which is consistent with all the paperwork the have in front of them, Why do the repeatedly ask my birthday?  The only thing I can figure is that I am too fucking old to be moving furniture.

Anyhow, I was in pain and knew I would not be able to complete the move.  I made a significant mistake.  I could not imagine how DH could possibly move the rest of the bed in unaided, so I called a friend (MJ) with teen sons and begged help.  This mortally offended DH.  OK.  Cancell the distress call.  Apologize to MJ.  Apologize to DH.  If he says he can do it unaided, then I trust him. (while praying he won't throw out his back or overstress hip or shoulder.)  He did it!  We got beds in and up, and then he moved several other sizable pieces of furniture as well. (So there!)  I had to have him help me undress and cover my cast so I could take a bath.  Then I took the Tylenol 3 with codeine, and went to bed.  Today, his shoulder is giving him trouble, but he did, by God, get the bed set up and some chairs brought in.

Today is Knitting at Tamara's house.  I can drive, but I can't knit.  I can't knit?  NO.  I won't think about that.  I'll figure something out.  I won't consider the possibility of 6 weeks without knitting.  NO!

24 Comments:

  • At 9:10 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Oh no! MamaMia can commiserate and empathize with you since she broke her right elbow, then BADLY sprained her right wrist (personally I think the bone chipped) and then last week she fell and hurt her LEFT wrist! I'm not sure how much knitting she's done this week :( !
    Hurray for Sanna! As soon as Dragons is published I'll alert my sister in law who loved the first book! (I included ! in every sentence to give you practice in eliminating them!) Happy editing!

     
  • At 9:11 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    PS: about your retiring--they'll probably call you back to do the jail GED work. You're the only one brave enough to venture there.

     
  • At 12:45 PM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    Wow, I can't believe you broke your wrist! Of course, YOU would have to have a sugar lips cast. Oops, sugar tongue cast. :P
    That husband of yours is quite the trooper.
    Feel better, rest up and STAY OFF THE COMPUTER! Sending healing vibes across to you now.

     
  • At 12:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    OUCH!!! Just by the by, that is a sugar tong cast, just to keep the wrist stable while the swelling goes down enough for the real deal.

    I am soooooo sorry that you are hurt, that you are unable to knit and that it will inconvenience you in ways you haven't even thought of yet. Hopefully you will not have any reason to wear pantyhose until the cast comes off.

    Yayyy for heroic men who come through in a crisis - even if they would have been better off with a little help.

     
  • At 1:29 PM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    ((hugs))

    Hope you're better soon.

     
  • At 2:24 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    That just plain rots! Do you need anything brought to you or done for you?

     
  • At 2:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Roxie, I am so sorry (and shocked) to read about your wrist fracture! (are you sure it's a silver tongue cast—no that's wrong—it's a sugar lips—what the heck, whatever it is, you shouldn't be having to wear it. And no knitting? Maybe you can type with one hand and write more on your latest WIP! Sympathy! Alice Lynn

     
  • At 3:16 PM , Blogger Rose Red said...

    Gah! A broken wrist - every knitters nightmare! I hope it heals up nice and fast, and that you do find a way to knit through it (just don't make it worse, ok!)

     
  • At 4:50 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Sure you can knit! I've seen knitters who poke one of needles (needs to be along one) under their arm and manipulate one needle against the stationary one to knit. At least you should be able to knit scarves and such until the wrist heals.

     
  • At 7:57 PM , Blogger LA said...

    I am so sorry!!! Bless your heart! Both of you need to take it easy for a few days....you've got plenty of time to get everything back in. Just take care of yourself!!!

     
  • At 9:13 PM , Blogger Paul said...

    OH NO!!! Well, the tylenol with codeine should be lovely - better living through chemistry... Are you going to share that with DH to help with his shoulder?

     
  • At 10:09 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Oh, wow, Roxie! How will you survive without knitting? I'm sorry to hear about your wrist.

     
  • At 10:13 AM , Blogger Rose said...

    A day without knitting is a day without sunshine....
    I guess maybe next time you will need a couple of strong, young men to help move things, and then you can get a butt shot! LOL
    Hope you mend well!

     
  • At 10:43 AM , Anonymous Anastacia Knits said...

    I'm so sorry about your boo-boo! I was recently on tylenol with codeine for a few days & that was NO fun... I think I'd almost rather have the pain... I hope you can manage some knitting, but if not there's always winding up yarn for future projects! Or weaving in yarn ends!

    Anyways I wanted to let you know that I just published a lovely review of Sanna on my blog... http://anastaciaknits.net/?p=663 in case you missed the post. I'd love to talk to you about doing an author interview or do a book giveaway or something if you'd be up for it. Give me a shout when you have a free moment - anastaciaknits at gmail dot com

     
  • At 1:49 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Now's the time to break out the crochet hook.....it only takes one hand to manipulate and one hand to just hold things.

    Wrists hurt when they're broken. So many little bones. I hope the pain settles down for you. Tylenol with codeine knocks me out.

     
  • At 2:54 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    So, this horse walks into a bar and the bartender says, "Why such a long face?"

     
  • At 6:49 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    (((hugs))) there WILL be knitting. Or right-handed crocheting. As Goddess is your witness, my darling, I have every faith there WILL be yarn! And hugs, and love your way, and hope for a speedy recovery!

     
  • At 9:23 PM , Anonymous LindaG said...

    Oh sweetie how devastating!! I am so sorry. Do you need chicken soup?

     
  • At 1:16 AM , Anonymous Janette said...

    So sorry to read about your wrist!

    Sending lots and lots of healing vibes for a super quick recovery. xx

     
  • At 8:01 AM , Blogger Arlee Bird said...

    I've been fortunate in that in all of my 60 years I've never broken anything other than possibly a toe (which the doctor said there wasn't much to do about it). However, I realize my limitations as I get older I have to be more and more careful since I can't do as much as I used to as much as I might hate to admit it. Sometimes it makes sense to get help if you need it.
    Wishing you rapid recovery.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

     
  • At 1:11 AM , Blogger Sheeprustler said...

    You poor thing, I hope it mends really quickly and that you are soon back to your old self!!!

     
  • At 6:28 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    Oh roxieroxie! I thought you were referring to a past wrist fracture. I'm so sorry. I know how you feel...well maybe not but I know how DH feels. We can have a who gets better faster contest. Where is Sanna when you need her to knit those bones???

     
  • At 8:43 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Be glad all you got was a cast; my nephew just broke his left wrist and he is now toting some permanent hardware and currently sporting over a dozen shiny staples on both sides of his wrist!

    Knitting = No! Spining? Maybe; do you know how to long draw? That should keep you occupied!

     
  • At 8:12 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Oh, man, I am trying to catch up and find this! OW!

    Hope you are feeling better - I know when my son fell and hurt his elbow, he felt a heck of a lot better as soon as it was in the cast.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home