Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, February 21, 2011

sticking to the Piscean theme

Fish have been my totem for quite a while.  Thirty five years ago I appliqued and embroidered the back of my jeans jacket.
 About twenty years ago I took a weaving and dying workshop.  I dyed my yarns with indigos and greens, threaded the loom in a simple twill, and went to town!    I stenciled the fish in as I was weaving, doing three on the finished fabric, three on four warp threads, three on three warp threads, three on only two warp threads, and three on just one warp thread, so they appear to be swimming away from you and vanishing into the water.

 I added some little embroidered fish afterwards.  And I had great fun playing with different treadlings of the twill as I worked.

It started with a lot of dark threads in the warp,, and I kept cutting them out and replacing with light




 
 
 

And then, because I had time while the slow weavers were finishing up, I did a little shibori experimenting in the indigo vat.  Lordy how I enjoyed that class!



And now I go out into another new day.  Today, I'm going to buy some new clothes.  Everything in my closet has salad-dressing stains on the chest. (One of the trials of having a bosom.  When I was thin, all the salad dressing stains went into my lap and if I was smart, I already had a napkin there.)


Do you have a totem animal?

13 Comments:

  • At 8:59 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Mine is a horse, and Scott's is an owl. Whenever I am struggling with something, a horse comes to me in my dreams. Scott has the same thing with owls. A horse even showed up in my aura photo and an owl in Scott's. Very fascinating!

    I love your project!!! I'll bet you had a blast in your class and it looks like a nice work of art.

     
  • At 9:34 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    The scarf is really pretty - what a great experiment/sampler!!

    I don't have a totem animal. Maybe one will make itself apparent one of these years.

     
  • At 4:11 PM , Anonymous SusanLS said...

    Wow! Your weaving is so amazing. I have several totem animals. One is the spider, both for weaving and for spinning (yarn and yarns!). Another is the cow. This one was given to me by other after I gave a talk on piety and talked about, what else, cow piety. The third is the armadillo, all armor on the outside, soft underbelly protected by curling up in a ball. Yep. That's me.

     
  • At 4:58 PM , Blogger Rose said...

    I have 2 totem animals--cats and unicorns.

     
  • At 5:12 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I took one of those online quiz things once and it said my spirit animal is a grizzly bear. Needless to say, this amused my family to no end and they STILL make claws and growl at me when I'm trying to make a point. They seem to think Teddy Bear is more my speed than grizzly.

    I don't know that I've ever thought in terms of totem animals (btw, Pk says he's "athlete's foot bacteria"; he's a Pisces, too).

    I love your fish wall hanging. It's amazing what you do with some threads, isn't it?

     
  • At 5:20 PM , Blogger Pearl said...

    I had my cards read by a woman who told me my totem was the dragonfly, and while I never quite believed that, it makes sense, as I seem to have lived a lot of my life in some sort of dream. :-)

    Your jacket reminds me of a pair of pants I once covered with embroidery. It's too bad, however, that they are a size 8. :-) Never wear THOSE again!

    Pearl

    p.s. Is that a cabbage leaf on your head?

     
  • At 7:26 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Probably a cat...although Kat once gifted me a butterfly....

    I love love love that weaving!

     
  • At 12:32 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Goats. My totem animal MUST be goats... I always seem to see souls in goats...

     
  • At 6:42 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    Wow! Your weaving is gorgeous! That needs to be permanently displayed in your home.

     
  • At 8:22 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Penguins are awesome; but not so sure it's my totem. The quick quiz I took says I'm an Eagle... I guess that's a bird and counts.

     
  • At 11:15 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Your fishies are so cool!

     
  • At 1:48 AM , Blogger Maggie said...

    I really like the weaving. I like tone-on-tone, anyway, but in this case, it really does look like water.

    I don't know if it's my totem, but flamingo objects frequently follow me home. What on earth could that say about me?

     
  • At 2:02 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Wow. Spectacular weaving. Just beautiful. Heavens, you're the whole package. You can cook and weave. Thank heavens you don't make your own clothes or I'd be uber jealous. Say, why don't you just stop eating salads, then you wouldn't have to shop.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home