Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, February 26, 2011

 Thursday, DH was sent home for the weekend due to lack of work.  Friday, at sunrise, the yard looked like this.  And I had my husband home to play with! 

No, we did not build snowmen or go sledding.  We lolled in indolence.  It was glorious.  Unfortunately I forgot a coffee date with a girlfriend, and felt like such a jerk when she called.  She is a true friend, however, and does not hold it against me!

 So many people have been all happy and excited by our snow,  Ben and I share the same attitude toward it.  ie, "What can I do to stay warm?"  Ben crouches over the pilot light, I wear clothing in layers.





But the sun shone, and a dry wind blew, and the snow went away even if it was too cold to melt.  And this morning, look what I find in the back yard.


 Can you believe it?  Violets?  They were under two inches of snow yesterday, and here they are, as bright and perky as cheerleaders. Yay violets!  You GROW, girls!
 Later, we encountered an unusual sign of impending spring.  Geese don't perch on parking lot light poles,but these two were up there yelling and carrying on like they had just "made it"  I suggested thqt it might be a good nesting site because it was safe from most predators, and the lights would keep their butts warm ant night, but DH pointed out that goslings - walk - out of the nest.  They are waddling around, looking for food for weeks before they fledge enough to fly. High-rise nesting is not good for geese.

Still, the young geese are paiaring off now.  Spring is on the way!

7 Comments:

  • At 3:51 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Ah, if only it would finally get warm. Down to 19° here last night. I did enjoy the bright sunlight yesterday, though.

     
  • At 3:52 PM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    Geese do nest on high platforms...or on the face of Smith Rocks!!

     
  • At 5:38 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Ben and I are kindred spirits. If I had a stove, I'd be sitting on it.

     
  • At 7:17 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I love violets. They are so full of optimism for spring. I always hunt around when the snow starts to retreat and look for the very early ones. Mmmm, my sweet violets smell so good!

     
  • At 7:33 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Snow(y) days are awesome for hunkering down and forgetting the world!!

     
  • At 1:57 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Beth M. and I go to the Pond House monthly poetry readings and one time we saw geese perched on top of the school across the road! My neighbors had a pipe freeze and bust in their garage and I was the one to discover it. I went to get the mail and heard a waterfall and knew there were none in our neighborhood! They were not home so I ran to neighbors to get someone to turn the water off. Someone had their cell# so they were called and came home. They had not even known there was a water pipe within the roof and wall of their garage! Apparently not insulated!!

     
  • At 7:06 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Violets, perky as cheerleaders-- I'm loving that one! And if the baby geese walk out of that nest, uhm, do me a favor and don't tell me, 'kay?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home