Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas carols

I have been listening to a radio station that is all Christmas all day long, and I am amazed at the number of versions of the old standbys. "I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus" by a very young Michael Jackson, by Elvis Presley, and by Peggy Lee, played back to back to back is a revelation. And "The Little Drummer Boy "- I wish someone would do a version with a steel drum playing instead of singing that darn "pahrumpumpum" over and over and over! I'm getting to the point where I want to pound the kid with his own sticks. What sort of a thing is that to do for a baby - play on a drum? You've just given birth - in a stable! It's cold, it's dark, the sheep are eructating, the cows are moving things through all seven stomaches, and some damnfool kid wants to play his drum? Why can't he give the gift of a silent night? And the three wisemen? Anyone who knows American dialects knows they are visitors from Georgia who smell a bit smokey because, "We have come from a far." (say fire with a southern drawl.)

I'm enjoying the music quite a lot, and singing along with many of the songs. (run,run reindeer!) I used to be in a church choir, but it's been years since I've sung regularly, and I've lost four or five notes off each end of the range, so when I shoot for some of those high descants, it sounds as if someone has just goosed a gibbon. Oh dear - would Christmas apes be Yule gibbons?

10 Comments:

  • At 12:04 PM , Blogger LA said...

    Oh Roxie....I just love your way with words!!!! (And, btw, sing loudly this time of the year!!!)

     
  • At 4:04 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I am looking forward to Christmas eve service at my church and singing carols. I avoid all high notes and sing deep toned ones.
    Don't want to fracture any ear drums!

     
  • At 4:28 PM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    I just can't get enough Christmas music!!!
    Hope yours is Merry!!!

     
  • At 4:30 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Some people have beautiful voices, and I envy them. My voice has a small range, but it enjoys harmonizing with others. I say "it" enjoys it because when it happens it doesn't feel like I'm the one in control. More like voices just have their own wisdom and go off and commune on their own when they find a willing partner.

    Singing, to me, is celebration, rejoicing, and thankfulness. It's a spiritual and meditative way of connecting to something larger than myself.

     
  • At 4:49 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Note to self... wear Depends before reading Roxie's posts. This is so damned funny that I LUIWM (laughed until I wet myself). Would that be a Christmas Goosed Gibbons?

     
  • At 7:01 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Peter Kevin says "why yes they would" (this was after he made an indescribable face).

    I love Christmas music and have been listening as I bake. I sang in both church choirs and school choruses. I must have been much better then.

     
  • At 10:43 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I'ts ok to sing however and whatever you want in your own home. And maybe in your car.

    My current favorite cd is by those wonderful Portlanders RESCUE. On teir Christmas album they sing a wonderful version of Mary, Did You Know?

     
  • At 11:06 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Enjoy your music and sing out with joy!

     
  • At 5:28 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Well, I groaned at the last part.

    Personally, I like making up my own lyrics to some of the songs I only get to hear in Latin or German based on what it sounds like the words are.

    Have a perfectly lovely Christmas and I hope the cats start using the new litter box as their gift to you.

     
  • At 8:45 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    LOL-- very punny! My children have been VERY into singing carols this year, and I have been called into service. Mate has some phone-video of Zoomboy singing 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' at top volume... very amusing, but not exactly musical:-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home