Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Not the plague

It's wonderful what a day of being horizontal will do for you! I figure, if I didn't need the rest, I wouldn't have slept so much. Oh my LORD it felt good! So, though I still have the lump under my ear and the itchy swelling behind it, my bones no longer ache and the guy that was using the inside of my skull for a steel drum orchestra has moved out.

Knitting, by the way, has been going on. I have long lusted after one of those great circle sweaters that wrap generously and pin together wherever you fancy. Usually they are done in a lace stitch or something complicated. I wanted something to do during the Writer's Conference - so complicated was right out. Instead, I crocheted a center, picked up stitches all around, and used Zimmerman's Pi Are Square formula. The center is knitted with the pink yarn I bought in Australia. People were going nuts over it. Especially since I could carry the yarn inside the knitting and thus, stand and knit while I was doing crowd-control duties. But when I got to the final increase, I couldn't fit it all onto a single circular needle, and things are just too big to tote around any more. I am using three 26 inch circular needles to knit 48 rows of 480stitches. I'm up to row 14. You can see where that increase started because that's where I ran out of the Australian yarn. I am edging it with Lorna's Laces DK weight held with a single strand of plum-colored fingering weight wool( the two balls of yarn closest to the center). And every third row, I use a skein of handspun merino I worked up (the ball of yarn that's trying to be camoflaged there to the lower left of the circle.) It takes me about an hour to knit 480 stitches. I watched Top Hat with Fred Astair and Ginger Rodgers yesterday while knitting. Oh, the glamor!

But now I'm up and about and cleaning house for the knitters' tea. Heide very kindly suggested going pot-luck, but I'd like to save that for the October knit-in since I will be returning from a trip to LA just a few days before 9th. LA abrades my very soul. It is not good to bake when you are feeling spiritually sand-papered. I can clean the house, but October might be the time for a pot-luck. Either that, or I hit the cookie aisle at the grocery store. "Oreos and Nutter Butters for all. You want fruit? Here's an apple. You'll have to peel it yourself. DH won't let me have sharp tools till I get my mental balance back."

So really, it's time to sweep, mop, and set the table. Setting the table is the carrot that gets me through the housework. Oh Boy!

6 Comments:

  • At 9:13 AM , Anonymous tlbwest said...

    My goodness! That is an astounding quantity of knitting! Reminds me of the time I knit an entire afghan on one double-pointed needle - a very large one, obviously. But it worked fine and I do hate to sew pices of knitting together.
    Glad you are better. I figured you'd be dead by now if it had been the plague. Clearly you were very allergic to something or someone.
    I had intended to host(ess) knitting in September, but maybe Oct. would be better? Both? I do have my house back, after all. The rest of us need to pitch in here with venue on occasion as well as refreshments!
    Remember our garage sale on Saturday...

     
  • At 9:24 AM , Blogger LA said...

    Your circle sweater is simply amazing! You will love wearing it, and it looks like you'll be done in time for cooler weather. I can't believe you were standing & knitting!!!

     
  • At 3:33 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I can picture you herding geese!!!! LOL

     
  • At 3:46 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Very pretty Pi sweater. Like the lace center.

     
  • At 7:08 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    And of course - it's pink. :)

    I'm glad you are feeling better, and nothing like tea and friends to give a purpose to live, eh?

     
  • At 10:31 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I can not WAIT to see that in action. And baby, it's SO your color!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home