Back on Monday I put on my glasses and felt a sort of a sting behind my left ear. But if you pay attention to every itch, twitch and prickle you feel, you'll overload in no time, so I ignored it and carried on. By the end of the day, the area above my left ear was swollen and tender. On Tuesday, I noticed a hard lum[ on my neck under the left ear. I'm such a hypochondriac. I immediately thought, "Bubonic plague!" Then I shoook myself and said, "Oh, don't be such a wuss. It's nothing!" And I went out for my walk.
Headed down to the store, I saw an extended goose family snacking on the weeds next to the sidewalk. They are quite blase about passers by, merely waddling off the sidewalk as I approached.
Unfortunately, some of them waddled into the street. I was busy taking photos until I noticed cars lining up in both directions, waiting for the geese to get their downy butts out of traffic. So I played goosegirl and tried to shoo them back to the curb. These geese don't shoo easy. I was close enough to grab a couple if I had just bent over. I thought I would have to kick some of them to get them to move. And as soon as I got six or so to safety, another two or three would wander back. No fear of cars or people!
At last the street was clear, and the highly amused drivers went on their way, waving and smiling. But I had used up the last dregs of my energy, and just had to drag myself through the rest of the walk. Even my bones ached. When I got home, I flopped in the recliner and fell asleep till DH got home. And as soon as we had hugged and shared our days, I flopped back into the recliner and slept until dinner.
DH looked at my swelllings, told me I might have a spider bite, and if I didn't promise to go to the doctor on Wednesday, he would take me in right then.
So today I went to the doctor who found no sign of infection, no puncture wounds, and no reason for my fatigue and malaise. "You might be coming down with something. Go home, rest, take ibuprophen, maybe use a hot pack on the swelling."
Now I'm resting, napping, knitting, taking Benedryl, and being profoundly grateful that I don't have to go to work or tend children while I'm feeling half-crappy. And also, that I don't have to start the tea-party prep until tomorrow. I still think it might be bubonic plague.