Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

so then, . . .

I've been sewing for - what, three weeks now? Five comforters finished in this push. Three weeks when I have not touched a broom, dustmop or other implement of floor maintenance. Those of you who live with multiple animals know that if you let it go for a week, the dust mice will evolve to the hunter-gatherer tribal stage. My dust mice have progressed through the agrarian community stage and have formed independent city-states with mutual non-agression pacts. I have watched their caravans progress from corner to under the china hutch, then, with a good draft from an open door, a grand sweep across the floor to the sideboard. The stray threads and flecks of fabric from the sewing have been welcomed and taken in, strengthening the fiber of the communities. Worse, (and this is just gross) one of the cats threw up under a chair, where I couldn't see it, and it wasn't till I moved the chair yesterday that I even knew about it. Dried cat vomit is really hard to scrape up.

So, with this critical mess threatening to ferment and rise up over my ankles, what do I do?


Sew another quilt of course. I used up the left-overs from the big quilt, piecing the batting and backing the whole thing with a piece of an old sheet. It's only about three feet by four feet - just a crib-size cover,(speaking of feet, you can see my foot at the bottom to give a sense of scale) but I am inordinately pleased with the pattern. I made it up. I love how those diagonal seams show up so well.

And yes, when I was done with the quilt, I swept and mopped all the floors.

5 Comments:

  • At 6:49 AM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    We've got a similar species of mutant fur/fiber/thread/yarn racing around here on the hardwood floors. It's ok, I use it as entertainment for the cats. (Grab a fan and "steer" with it!)
    This is a fantastic quilt. You've been on such a quilt binge lately.

     
  • At 7:36 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    And then you get to start all over again, right?

     
  • At 11:38 AM , Anonymous tlbwest said...

    The cat Ethel has been among the dear departed since February, but dust Ethels continue to emerge from under the bed daily and make their way down the stairs to collect in corners and under furniture. Cat fur breeds. Add a little dryer lint and the odd bits of thread and yarn...
    You do know that one old name for the dust bunnies, or dust wizards, is slut's wool.

     
  • At 6:59 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Love the quilt. Good luck with dust bunnies, they can be quite fiercious.

     
  • At 9:00 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Okay... did you do a tribal dance and put on a fabric plumed headdress before hunting those dust-mice tribes? It's only respectful, and you need the gods on your side!

    Purty quilt, honey! (I recognize some of those scraps:0)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home