Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

hydrangeas

It's been a good year for hydrangeas, and the neighborhood is full of them. SO on my last walk, I grabbed the camera and went hydrangea hunting. The colors constantly amaze me. This one is almost cyclamen-colored.




















You can't get much bluer than this. I want a dress this color!! It will make my eyes as bright as forget-me-nots.

















Some folks are mad for lace-cap hydrangeas, but they just don't make me want to sing and dance.













These next two bushes are on opposite sides of the same yard. I know hydrangeas are like litmus paper, and change color depending on the acidity of the soil, so I wonder if the bush next to the sidewalk gets peed on by passing dogs, or if it is, indeed, a different cultivar.










DH bought me a hydrangea for my birthday and we planted it in the back yard. Here's hoping it will thrive! What with gophers and moles and squirrels and so on, not to mention my ignorance, and the vaguries of nature, if something doesn't thrive on neglect, it will die for me.
Since we trimmed the apple tree, the roses that were languishing in its shade are blooming like mad. Gee - plants like sunlight. who knew?

7 Comments:

  • At 11:58 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    I love hydrangeas. We have two large bushes that are separated by only a few feet, and yet one is purple and one is light blue. Maybe the same gnomes are urinating here too.

     
  • At 4:26 PM , Blogger Rose Red said...

    I have a hydrangea in the front yard - thankfully its blue not pink. As far as I know, they like to be pruned quite strongly after flowering - I hope so anyway, because that;s what we did!

     
  • At 6:56 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Love the colors. I agree, that blue would make an awesome dress!

     
  • At 12:44 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I love hydrangeas too. This year both of mine are bright bright pink. I'd love a blue one. Maybe next year...

     
  • At 1:06 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    My grandfather used to spray-paint spent hydragea flowers so that the "color" would last longer. Hard to believe he thought anyone was fooled.

    I like the fact that the flowers can be different colors on the same bush like the one in your pictures.

     
  • At 2:27 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I miss the hydrangeas my mom had when I was growing up. I loved that they would start out one color and end up another as the season passed. They are one of my favorites but for some reason, I've never planted any.

     
  • At 8:57 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I have to admit, I never really thought of hydrangeas until I started reading blogs like yours... and now I'm in love...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home