Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Another quilt

Benita purged her stash and sent me some fat quarters which have insisted on becoming a stripey green and yellow comforter. I mis-called this style a biscuit quilt, but biscuit quilts are actually little pillows, turned and stuffed and sew together. These comforters have raw seams on one side which get all fringey and fuzzy with a couple trips through the washer. So here's the raw seams side. Nice and bright and happy to work with all the yellow and green selvedges that show.




And here's the happy yellow and green side. There are kitchen themed strips and floral strips and charming children and circus animals . . . it will be a fun comforter for a child to sleep with. And since I have run out of fluffy batting, I made it with three layers of fabric which makes for a heavy, but toasty warm cover. In Denmark, they call a heavy blanket, "a virgin killer." Evidently an experienced woman won't be crushed under all that weight.




When we went out for our anniversary dinner, DH and I wore the clothes we wore to get married in. (Brag, brag! We can still wear the clothes we wore 16 years ago!) So, since it was a warm and joyous occasion, and we both got a bit steamy with wine and hot food and rowdy laughter, I had to take things to the drycleaner. (My wedding dress is pink raw silk, knee length. Very versatile!) (I should have gotten photos, I know.) Anyhow, it was a glorious morning, and the drycleaner is about a mile away, so I walked. On the way, I spotted roses forcing their way through a hedge about nine feet above the sidewalk.



And a rebellious, freedom-seeking vine sneaking out through a knot-hole.




And a perfect pink and ivory rose blooming in the front yard of an abandoned house.


And on the way back, I stopped and chatted with a guy who was supervising a lad inspecting the top of the local water tower. Turns out that Don is the guy in charge of the local water department, and we had a great chat while the young fellow got photos of the tower top before the cell phone folks came to do maintainence on their antennae. The city gets three thousand a month from the cell phone people to allow them to put the antennae and repeaters up there. Seems like a great deal to me! Your cell phone dollars helping to maintain your water supply.

8 Comments:

  • At 11:04 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I love that green and yellow side. Some day I want a metallic green car like the metallic green bees I see in the flowers.

     
  • At 1:42 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Actually the fact that you still have your wedding clothes 16 years on is what surprises me most.

    A Virgin Killer quilt, eh? Make sure a grandmother gets it then. I wouldn't want you up on manslaughter charges.

     
  • At 5:32 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    That green and yellow side appeals to the Oregon Duck in me.

     
  • At 6:29 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Don't quite get the "virgin killer" reference... must be cultural differences because I'd assume, wrongly, that thin blankets would ruin virginity because they'd require multiple bodies under them to keep warm.

    Love the rose and escaping bean.

    Would love to see pictures of you in your wedding clothes.

     
  • At 5:22 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    You're making killer quilts? That's not very nice.

     
  • At 7:13 AM , Blogger LA said...

    I love the quilts!!! That's a wonderful way to use up stash! A lot of my stash finds its way into rugs!!!

     
  • At 9:37 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oooh... the green/yellow side is so exciting! (Virgin Killers have a whole different meaning in my lexicon:-) And I love the diehard rose!

     
  • At 2:51 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Maybe they're called virgin killers because you can get comfortable enough under them to get interested in something besides keeping warm? I like the green and yellow too, and I'm not usually a yellow person.

    The photos are great as always. I'm such a sucker for roses.

    My verification string is grandeme. Perhaps a confused French policeman who thinks he's a grande dame?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home