Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, August 19, 2010

catch and release

The Great Circle Sweater did not work out. Too much circle, not enough sweater. So I raveled back a week's worth of knitting to the point where it started going wrong. If only I had counted my stitches. But my attention span is too short to count 400 stitches, so I didn't bother. And as a friend says, "So how's that working out for you?"

Not bothering isn't the most effective way of achieving what you want. Since I CAN count to one hundred, I did so, and placed a marker. And again. And again. I thought that after I did my final increase, I was up to 480 stitches in a round. I frogged back to before that increase round and discovered I had 604 stitches. Well no wonder it took so long to knit a round. 604, doubled in each stitch equals a fricking hell of a lot of stitches. When I put it on, I was Miss Rufflebutt of 1968. It used up yarn at a horrendous rate, too. Su-prize, su-praz, supraz!

It's a great thing that I am, at heart, a process knitter. Frogging and re-knitting is not that much of a hardship since I'm on no schedule right now.

I've been taking GED tests in to the jail every morning this week. And afternoons, I've been sewing. My friend, CE was diagnosed with breast cancer, and since there is a history of it in her family, she is going to have a double mastectomy. Her favorite color is orange.


So I made her a comforter.
She is a single gal, living alone, so I am co-ordinating her care-takers. I have the e-mail address of about 15 people I have never met who love her and want to help. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions or cautions? Will she need help for weeks on end, or just a couple of days? Should I set up a blog for this, or are there better ways to get information to and from a bunch of people? And what would be nice treats for someone in her situation? Chocolate? Cookies? Dancing boys? Any input would be welcome.

8 Comments:

  • At 5:50 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    That's a lovely, cheerful quilt, and she's bound to adore it!

     
  • At 8:59 PM , Anonymous LindaG said...

    I feel sure that chocolate is ALWAYS appropriate. I have some experience with another kind of cancer and care, so I'll riff from that: Let your friend set/accept the closeness of care, which WILL vary, up for a few weeks, way down for others, then perhaps repeating. Offer a couple levels of care for each stage (always easier to pick from a few choices when you feel sick than to answer the open-ended question, what can I do?). And yes, communication, communication is very good. Just be sure everyone is checking what they need to -- whether it's a Facebook message group, an Email group, phone chain, or a written record in her home that everyone checks when they come in. A prayer or good thoughts/caring chain is also good for those folks who may not be able to bring food or sit with her. Sending YOU love too. Bless you bless you

     
  • At 9:54 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Gorgeous quilt! I would love to contribute food, etc. to lend support to CE. The good thing about reknitting the circle sweater is that this time it will go faster because you won't have to knit as many stitches. Counting is for sissies, IMO.

     
  • At 5:29 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Lovely quilt!

    I would think: meals, rides, medication pick-up, and generally being there.

     
  • At 8:44 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    I've not had experience in the post surgery care dept, but I'm sure that food, pretty flowers, orange quilts and chocolate are all good things to provide. I like the 'levels of care' idea. First week, everything from laundry to house cleaning...

    About the beads-- yes, they're made from paper. Isn't it amazing? They were different colors, sizes and shapes.

    Wow, 604 stitches?

     
  • At 12:29 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    What a beautiful quilt!

    There's an online app for this, but (of course) I can't remember the name. It does a calendar and lets people sign up for open spots and so on. Failing that, I would just go with your basic email list.

     
  • At 10:43 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    That is an awesome quilt, baby--and whatever your friend needs, I'm sure you will provide. (My mom helped take care of her friend after her mastectomy--it was about a week of not moving great and needing someone there a LOT, and then it became help with radiation, etc. I'd ask your friend--what's your doctor visiting schedule.

     
  • At 1:25 PM , Blogger Em said...

    There's a group on Ravelry called Surviving Stitches, you may want to visit. There are a lot of breast cancer survivors who post there. If CE's a knitter, she may want to join for the support. The women (and occasional men) who post there are wonderful and are very supportive, and many of them are pretty knowledgeable about the various treatments available for breast cancer.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home