Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, August 16, 2010

After action report

On Saturday, Heide, for no reason what-so-ever, brought me a hand-crocheted tablecloth she had picked up at a garage sale. Her DH thought it was not cool to be giving someone something you got at a garage sale. HA! Little does he know! This tablecloth is a prize! It's composed of 323 of these delicate little hand made motifs, joined flawlessly togeether and finished with a dainty edging, then immaculately starched. This must be the cloth that got used only when the Pope or Queen Elizabeth came for tea, because it doesn't have a spot, a stain or a snag anywhere. This is a totally awesome gift, even if it DID come from a garage sale, and I will happily accept any and all such gifts at any time for any occasion. Besides, its the fricking thought that counts!!


After I got the dishes washed, my DH and I rushed off to TW's garage sale. Among other goodies, they had three teacups and four saucers that took my heart away.











Mr. TW (AKA PW) is the son of a successful New York artist, who used to give parties in his studio, using mis-matched china. These Staffordshire beauties are a relic of that elegant, sophisticated time. Was I interested in these old second hand cups from a garage sale? HELL YES!

When I dug out my wallet, though, they couldn't decide what to charge me, so settled on givingme the china for my Christmas present.




Weee wish you a merry Christmas! We wish you a merry Christmas! We wish you a merry Christmas, And a happy Memorial Day!


11 Comments:

  • At 3:00 PM , Blogger Janette said...

    Wow Roxie. The cups and saucers are beautiful!

     
  • At 3:36 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    That is the most incredible tablecloth! You totally SCORED! And the teacups, yeah, score there, too!

     
  • At 3:45 PM , Blogger LA said...

    You were given a real treasure...and then found more treasure for your table!!! You are one very lucky lady!

     
  • At 4:40 PM , Blogger Rose Red said...

    It breaks my heart to see beautiful crochet unloved at garage sales. Liberating it, and using it, is a gift to the crocheter who spent so much time making it. Lovely!

     
  • At 6:08 PM , Blogger Sheeprustler said...

    I have often had fantasies about using mis-matched china. It may yet come true! They are lovely.

     
  • At 7:36 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    What a beautiful table cover. I can't imagine all that work. I would use it. I like special things but hate the idea that they never see the light of day.

     
  • At 11:51 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Ka-CHING!!! BINGO!!!! Bloody Freakin' Awesome!!!

    Ahem... Yeah, they're pretty.

    WooHOO!!!!!!!! I love old tea cups and saucers. And the table cloth is something to treasure. Whoever knitting it is smiling wherever they are right now. It's nice to have your work appreciated.

     
  • At 12:00 PM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Way awesome. I don't think I'd want to match a lace table cloth.

     
  • At 10:31 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    SCORE! Damn-- that is a FANTASTIC gift-- garage sale, thrift shop, or what have you! And the china looks so dainty on it... for your decorating, that is a stunning coup!

     
  • At 12:42 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    I found some similar tablecloths at an antique barn and took surreptitious pix of them. They too were constructed of amazingly fine crochet.

    (Verification string: sophruse. What a second-year student uses to persuade a first-year one to go out on a date?)

     
  • At 12:38 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Squee!

    They are beau-ti-ful.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home