Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, April 05, 2010

Moanday



Pretty picture to help motivate me for the day. I would oh so rather go back to bed. Wouldn't you? Warm and snuggly and soooo comfy. You lie down and your back rejoices in the support. You pull up the covers and the cozy warmth starts to build. Put your head down on the crdling pillow and close your eyes . . . the kitties hop up and join you, purring and gently pressing you under the level of consciousness, . . . and sleep slips over you. . .

WAKE UP!

Things to do! Income to earn! Gotta get dressed and put on some make-up so I don't frighten the general public. Make a lunch. Go to work!

I am reading BRAIN RULES - a book about how the brain works and how to keep it working well. The first chapter is a real wake-up call. We evolved as beings who walked between 6 and 12 miles a day, every day. The exercise brings lots of oxygen-rich blood to the brain which keeps it functioning at peak levels. People who get regular exercise have better brain functions than people who don't. Couch potatoes who engage in exercise improve their intellectual functions by impressive ammounts. When they return to sofa sitting, their metal capacity diminishes. People who get regular aerobic exercise are something like 60% less likely to get Alzheimers and other age-related dementias. aerobic exercise can mitigate the effects of Alzheimers. And I am a SLUG!! Somehow, I gotta whip myself into some regular activity.

To re-inforce this, LG and I went to a dance performance on Saturday, and I realized that, unlike most companies , the Body Vox troupe has bald heads, pelvises that have carried babies, gray hair, mature performers. Yet they are as strong, as limber, as vital as any of the youths in the company. And the more mature dancers bring an emotional strength and expression that the juniors can only aspire to. These are men and women who have been dancing for decades. They are creative, thoughtful, innovative and playful performers. They have exercised vigorously and regulary, and they have sparkling minds at an age when most of us are losing the car keys.

OK, my brain is my favorite toy, and I want to keep it in good repair. So, it looks as if I simply MUST start getting exercise again. YUK! And it's not gonna happen today unless I leave for work 10 minutes early and park in the far lot. Even a little bit of exercise will help a little bit.

Wish me luck.

Tomorrow, knitting content.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:12 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Sounds like an interesting book. Mental exercise is important, too and I think you get plenty of that. Maybe keeping those sheep in line will help get your blood flowing. :)

     
  • At 1:32 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I agree! I need to get going, start exercising, the gyn at CCC is free to us employees! Okay, I can do it, I can add more exercise to my week, I can...I can...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

     
  • At 2:22 PM , Blogger Janette said...

    What an interesting book ... I'm going to have to read it. I'm with you on the exercise though - YUK!

    As for keeping those sheep in line- could be a tricky one. The one thing I have learned about sheep is, they have a mind of their own. Good luck on that one!

     
  • At 9:32 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    *sigh* And thus, the fifteen minute 'beach body' tapes every day. For the record, I'm living for 'yoga day'...

     
  • At 5:03 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Good luck. Next week, I'm back to the gym.

     
  • At 5:22 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I am 8 weeks into the exercise program and am noticing the difference in the way my clothes fit. No weight loss, just better muscle tone.

    Not much activity on the brain front, I'm afraid.

     
  • At 2:00 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Slap! Slap! Willow, get out there and walk. No Excuses!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home