Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

just a question

There was a young lady in one of my test sessions who sniffed a big wet juicy sniff every two seconds for about an hour. I hand-delivered kleenex and she looked at me in puzzlement, and continued to sniff. Then I gave her the box of kleenex and told her there was lots and please feel free to use it. She looked bewildered and continued to sniff. Finally, the other guy taking the test said, "You sound like my 10 year-old son. Go ahead and blow your nose." She apologized very timidly, ceased to sniff, but still would NOT blow her nose. At all. I've run across this once or twice before. What am I missing here? Do the kids not realize that other people can hear them sniff? Or are they not aware that they ARE sniffing? Or do they think continual sniffing is less offensive than a good blow? Is there some sub-cultural thing about not blowing your nose in public? Are they afraid they'll leave DNA evidence? Did they just snort something and they don't want to blow it out? What is with this?

I did not, much as I wanted to, slap a wad of tissues down in front of her and beg, "For the sweet love of Jesus, would you just blow your nose?!"

She did not show up for the test she was scheduled to take in the next hour. Crap. She's been traumatized.

Things were so slow yesterday morning that I thought we might be in a Twilight Zone episode . . . where you step outside the building to see where everyone went, and you discover that the aliens have set you up in a sort of ant farm for the kiddies to watch. The three people scheduled for 8:30 tests didn't show, so I spent two hours dusting desk tops and wiping fingerprints from around door handles. Two of the 5 scheduled for math showed up, and three of the 7 scheduled for writing. By 3:30 I got a 50% turn-out - 7 of the 14 scheduled. I don't know what it was. Things were just slow all over. I wonder what today will be like?

7 Comments:

  • At 7:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My younger son would not blow his nose for ages. His comment was usually "I CAN'T! MY NOSE NO WORK THAT WAY!".

    Now that he is the ripe old age of 6, he occasionally will blow his nose, but he has to be told to blow his nose and sometimes needs the tissue held to his face.

    The rest of the family will blow noses; I'm not sure if it just doesn't feel good to him, it's his own peculiar brand of stubborn (gets it from both sides of the family), or what!

     
  • At 9:02 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    So, how pretty was it outside there yesterday?

    The sniffing girl is a new one on me. Why she wouldn't blow her nose, I have no idea. I see people blowing their noses everywhere.

     
  • At 5:21 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    I totally thought about this post in Chrysalis while you were discretely blowing your nose during someone's reading. :)

     
  • At 5:35 PM , Blogger Tara said...

    Between your comment of, "Did they just snort something and they don't want to blow it out?" and (thanks to anonymous) a mental picture of you trying to hold a tissue to her face so she could blow, I'm dying here. You have made my day.

     
  • At 6:54 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Oops! Thought I'd left a comment. I don't think that cocaine is a popular drug any more or else I'd suggest that maybe she didn't want to blow out her blow. My guess is that she's just clueless... and as such, I doubt she was embarrassed by the suggestions.

     
  • At 5:17 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    We had clinic days like that this week. less than 50 percent show rate. It's weird.

    I work with a doctor who has no compunctions against telling people to blow their noses because she doesn't like to listen to them sniff. (she also will tell people to stop talking since they're hurting her head but hey, she's the psychiatrist)

     
  • At 5:26 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Well... Easter Sunday IS coming up... I know a lot of kids at my school are on vacation! And yeah-- there's a VERY weird vibe going on with people blowing their noses... it's like they HAVE to blow their noses out of hearing of the rest of the world... it's become the social equivalent of a fart...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home