Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, March 21, 2010

donning a chook

Really? Was is only two weeks ago? Two weeks ago, Janette and Marc took us to an artisan's fair in Canberra. We had considered going to see the French Impressionists at the National Gallery, but the line went clear round the block and off into the distance. The artisan's market seemed like a far better option.

It was delightful! Really nice merchandise, art and food, in a spacious,accessible location, right next to the glassworks.


Naturally, I focused on things that interested me.


I bought a skein of hand-dyed merino yarn - worsted weight - pink for my inner 3 year old. the lady gave me a deal since it was the last of her last years' dyelot. Anyone expecting any baby girls?

The display of oriental rugs was opulent.


And then there was the lady selling hats. I didn't see how I could carry this one home, but I DID want it! And notice the gorgeous pink pearls in my ears? Janette bought me a sumptuous birthday present from a jewler at the show.


DH bought a cup of hot, spiced orange juice for me which was a godsend for my cold, and then we toured the glassworks which was really neat, too. And then, after TomTom took us twice around the capital building (which is uber-green and has lawn for roofing on most of the place - just cool!) we got on the road back to Sydney. I didn't have time or energy to rave properly about Canberra which is a beautiful city with spacious parks and a road system that is virtually impossible to navigate unless you already know where you're going. And awesome people like the generous Jejune and the tintinabulating Bells live there.

Chook, by the way, is what Aussies call a chicken. Guess I'll just have to build my own chicken hat.

9 Comments:

  • At 12:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    it's so funny to read you call our beloved Old Bus Depot Markets, which is on every week, an Artisans Fair. Sort of makes it sound awfully grand.

     
  • At 2:38 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Ahh... Roxie, that hat is so you!

    I'd love to see what you could do to create your own.

     
  • At 3:15 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Now that's some hat! LOL
    Did you buy any of those wooden knitting needles?? Did you buy any other goodies??
    My nephew is expecting a girl!
    :^)

     
  • At 5:31 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    That hat suits you really well. You could have carried it home on your head.

     
  • At 11:39 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh baby... that chook is so you... I canNOT wait to see what you do with your creativity to make that hat a reality! (A woman wears a hat like that, you know she's not afraid to be walkin' down the street...)

     
  • At 1:18 AM , Anonymous Barb said...

    You're such a hat lady, and they always look good on you. I'm surprised you left the country without a Tilly.

    I have a bunch of crows that pig around my bird feeder. I'll gladly volunteer their feathers for a hat if you'd like. You have to come help me de-plume them, though.

     
  • At 4:57 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    That hat is so you. Can't wait to see what you build.

     
  • At 4:06 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Love the hat! Most women couldn't carry it, but you wear it well.

     
  • At 4:30 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    The Old Bus Depot Markets are wonderful, I'm so glad you got there. We baulked at the terrible cues for the French exhibition too, and aren't going. 3 hours is the standard wait, standing in line ... not tenable.

    My son is doing a course at the Glassworks, and loving it. It's a great old building, isn't it!

    The chook hat is great - and you can learn another Aussie term - cackleberries = eggs (to my MIL at least :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home