Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, March 20, 2010

ironwork

Sydney retains touches of Victorian opulence and excess that just delight me. The iron grillwork shows me that blacksmiths have an artistic side. Wouldn't it be vastly more fun to turn out these bits of lacework rather than boring old grills and bars?


















This is all downtown of course. The suburbs don't show much of this conspicuous consumption. But for prosperous businesses, what a splendid way to flaunt their success!

3 Comments:

  • At 4:56 PM , Blogger Rose Red said...

    Actually, many of the inner city suburbs do have lots of ironwork lace - there are rows and rows of terrace houses in places like Paddington, Surry Hills, Glebe, Newtown, etc etc - but I expect you didn't get to see those suburbs!

    Of course, many of them have also lost their lace over the years (very sad) and are shadows of their former selves!

    So nice to see a collection of lace photos all together, living in the city you don't tend to take as much notice of it!

     
  • At 8:30 PM , Blogger Janette said...

    Rose Red is so on the ball! Alas, we did not get the chance to drive around these beautiful areas ... maybe next time :)

    All in all, we still had a great holiday!

     
  • At 1:13 AM , Anonymous Barb said...

    I've always wanted a balcony surrounded by ornate ironworks. Maybe I need to move.
    Great photo collection. Thanks

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home