Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The sun is done

We are back to steady rain, now, and it should continue through June. You can't count on sunshine for any given day until after the 7th of July, but the rain is warmer now. Trees are blooming, daffodils are cheering and our un-pruned roses are leafing out already. Fool that I am, I didn't wear a raincoat to work because it wasn't raining when I left. Wise woman that I am, I keep an umbrella at the office. It was raining cats and dogs when I left work. Really. I stepped in a poodle. (booo) Have to remember to take the umbrella back today.

The sap is rising, and all living things are getting restless. Yearling cats and possums are slinking around, trying to find their own territory now that mom has kicked them out to make room for this year's litter.

For my friends in Oz, let me say that American possums are not the pretty, fluffy, big-eyed creatures you know as possums. American possums look like giant marsupial rats. Naked pink tail, beady eyes, naked pink claw-like feet, tiny ears, and horrible crooked, pointy teeth. Go ahead, imagine a 15 pound grey rat with yellow teeth hunkered up in the corner of your porch and hissing at you. Wouldn't you run for the broom? Well, I run for the broom, because it's not leagal to use the shotgun, by if I thought I could get away with it, I just might take out one of those nasty, verminous, cat-killers. Yes, they are God's creatures, too, and life is sacred, but I am a human, and I, by God, exert some control over my environment when I can, and my environment is not gonna be overrun with possums! I can't shhot 'em, but I CAN make them feel unwelcome! A smack in the face with a broom makaes just about anyone feel unwelcome. Of course, the neighbors and local dog-walkers may wonder about me beating through the bushes with a broom , wearing a bathrobe and slippers in the pouring rain, and cursing, but at least the neighbors don't take me for granted, and the dogs no longer crap on our lawn. And the possums do NOT feel welcome.

And it's almost the season for raccoonus interruptus, too. I'd better stockpile a few missles for discouraging treetop romancing. And maybe I should get one of those plastic atlatl things they sell at the pet store for throwing dog balls. Hmm - for throwing balls for dogs. Anyhow, if I'm going to be throwing rocks, it's just as well that I have a puny arm because I might accidentally hit the neighbor's house, but if I had one of those atlatls, I could throw pinecones and actually hit something. Like a pair of raccoons in flagrante delecto. It bears consideration.

10 Comments:

  • At 7:36 AM , Blogger Julie said...

    American possums ARE giant marsupial rats. Really. I can just see you chasing one in your bathrobe... I would too.

    You know, for all animal visitors, I like to use a super-soaker full of water spiked with a little bit of vinegar. You can hit stuff from yards and yards away, and if you miss and get a neighbor's property, it doesn't really matter.

     
  • At 8:24 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Oooo! I want one of those ball throwing gizmoes!! I have a few 'coons I'd love to take aim at and bong with balls.

    If you want to bag some possums, dear, you can come to my place anytime!! We live in the boonies and there isn't any one around to yell at us for it.

     
  • At 9:20 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    That warm, sunny weather was a real tease, wasn't it? I just wish the rain would have held off until afternoon, like they predicted, so I could have finished the neighbor's yard. Ah well, maybe tomorrow.

     
  • At 4:59 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I can picture you whacking away at the bushes! LOL
    Reminds me of a story someone told me once about an old man who had a gorgeous garden. A neighbor saw him hitting his trees and bushes with broom regularly and finally asked why. He said that if you pamper them they are destroyed in the first storm, but they get strong by his treatment and can withstand the storms....or something along those lines.

     
  • At 6:45 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    possums are pretty ugly. Several years ago I needle felted this little guy and sold him on Ebay.

    http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5723/1785/1600/DSCN4252.jpg

    He was built over a wire armiture so he could be posed. It was the only possum I ever liked.

     
  • At 7:00 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Hahaha! I read your paragraph about the possums to The Professor and asked, "Who wrote that?" and he answered, "That sounds like Roxie!" Yup. Love it!

     
  • At 3:50 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Don't think we have possums running around the dessert.

    Thanks for the rain, we need it.

     
  • At 5:52 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    We don't have a lot of possums but we have hedgehogs. Or we did before the hawks moved in and the babies started disappearing.

    It's grey here too. And snowing. Did I mention I'm over the snow?

     
  • At 9:17 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Oooo, a ball thrower is an excellent idea! I could probably use it on pesty red-squirrels, too!

     
  • At 3:05 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Of course, you should always bear consideration when considering bare raccoons...

    And I just spit soda out of my nose imagining you, beating the brush in your bathrobe... AWESOME AWESOME ROXIE!

    (And dogs get worried when you throw their balls... they start to remember they were supposed to be attached.)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home