Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, February 22, 2010

fotos from the neighborhood

I know most of the US is still starved for color, so I went for a walk with my camera yesterday.
These little guys make me want to plant crocus. They are so, SO happy in the sun shine!


One of our local gardening experts refers to violets as, "invasive little thugs." I'm rather taken with something so small and delicate that self-seeds and makes itself happy wherever it can. Thses are colonizing a patch of lawn, and since our lawn is mostly moss and weeds, the violets are quite, quite welcome to invade.


Here is one of the older homes in the neighborhood. It was built back when this area was still mostly orchards and broccolli fields. Back in the thirties. The early American decoration and the tower have been added over the years.

This house is actually on the national historic register. It was built in the 1900s. As you can see, there are some big lots in this area. This place sits on over an acre. We have gotten a lot of infill and development in the past few years, so the neighborhood is a happy mix of post-war ranch-style homes, tiny grandmother bungalows on huge lots, single-level apartments, and very modern single-family-dwellingss tucked into what used to be large backyards.


A developer set houses side by side for a mile, then realized that kids would have to walk clear around the development to get to the school on the other side. So he took easement from both sides of a couple of lots and built this acess path. It feels quite magical to me. A portal to something wonderful!

9 Comments:

  • At 11:34 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Oh, I love that path! It reminds me of all the fairy tales about paths that take you to another universe entire.

     
  • At 12:47 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    I love that walkway between the hedges. Yes, I agree - truly magical!

    I like an eclectic neighborhood where all the house are different. Sounds like you live in a neat neighborhood.

     
  • At 4:01 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I'm watching the snow slowly recede and underneath the ground is brown. I am longing for some green and colors. The photos are so beautifully spring.

     
  • At 9:49 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Wow-- that's wonderful-- really a wormhole to something pretty, isn't it!

     
  • At 4:09 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Can't wait for the flowers to start blooming here. Should be any day now.

     
  • At 7:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i adore these photos. Not a darn thing wrong with violets, if you ask me.

    And I LOVE the old houses! They remind me of the east coast, not to mention the fascinating anthropology - architecture through the eras, etc. I love guessing the year each house was built. This is clearly an area of Milwaukie I'm not familiar with...

    oh, and sorry for being such a lousy blog buddy in terms of commenting. I do actually pop in now and then, but rarely have time to really enjoy everything for all its worth.

    Cheers!
    Daisy

     
  • At 9:09 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    I love crocuses!

     
  • At 11:26 PM , Anonymous Barb said...

    Thanks for the sunshine and flowers. You always bring a note of cheer into your blog. It's truly uplifting. I can't wait for the time you take us down the magical alley.

     
  • At 6:39 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Breathtaking harbingers of spring! Stately old homes possess an elegance and charm that cannot be rivaled by granite countertops or in-home theaters. Thank you for the tour.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home