Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Ides of February


Every February, we get a few warm sunny days that tease us with promise of spring. The Ides of March were a warm, mild period in mid-march, so I call these days the Ides of February. We are looking for a high of 60 today. Teenagers will be going barefoot and stripping down to tank tops. (I know, when it gets to 60 in LA people are putting extra blankets on the bed and looking for the heavy sweaters. It's all a question of what you're used to.)



I administered a GEDteat at the jail today, so all the primo parking spaces were gone when I got back to campus at 10. I parked in the "Other" lot which meant a short stroll through the woods. And Joy, Joy, there was still sunlight when I left to go home!


Is this not a lovely sight?

You can almost hear the buds swelling. In some sheltered areas, Flowering plum and cherry trees are starting to bloom, and Japanese quince is blushing vividly all over the place.


I don't know what these green flowers are called, but they are so welcome when they bloom.

8 Comments:

  • At 8:36 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    We're having a sunny day, too, but our sunny looks a little different (BRIGHT! WHITE! SNOW!) from our sunny.

     
  • At 9:26 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    The green flowers are hellebores.

    Nice photos.

     
  • At 9:30 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    I do believe that's a hellebore. Enjoy your sunshine!

     
  • At 10:48 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I'm sitting here in my office looking at 2 feet of snow on the ground (and some 'wintry mix' coming next week) and I love the green in your photos. I'm at the point where I'm pining for green.

    And I noticed that the sun was still up at 5:30(!) last night. That is some kinda wonderful.

     
  • At 11:17 AM , Anonymous tlbwest said...

    The green flowers are a variety of hellebore. The bush in the top photo looks like some type of pieris - we were taught to call them andromeda, is I remember correctly. Forsythia and camellias are blooming at my house, where, exposed as we are to the gorge east wind, things are usually later. It's a beautiful day!
    The word verification is encouraging to continue with spring cleaning and tidying - and when in doubt,"pichit!"
    PS - sorry you had tummy issues Sat. PM. The goodies all sat well with me...

     
  • At 12:36 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Wow, sweetie-- those pictures are so pretty. Literally-- the heart swells this time of year--everything is anticipation...

     
  • At 6:58 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    The green things are indeed hellebores, or "Lenten Roses". I have some that are dark purple, some pink, and some white. I'll *try* to remember to post some pics for you this weekend.

    Ha! My word verification is "waddle"! Are you trying to tell me something????

     
  • At 11:41 PM , Anonymous Barb said...

    Aaaah. I'm so glad you carry your camera with you. I walked past a building on campus and saw crocus blooming. I had to stop and clap. I thought I'd go home and check mine, but of course, forgot as soon as I took 3 steps.

    Thanks for capturing the moments I forget.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home