Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Hanging in there

Random photo inserted for color.


Early registration for winter term started this week. On Monday, the registration computer went down, so all the registration has to be done by hand. The registration lobby has been packed all week long. And people who are already frustrated by standing in line for fourty minutes come to us saying, "I have to take a placement test before I can sign up for my classes. How long is this going to take?"

Well, it takes longer than it used to because the powers that be want us to use three seperate tests rather than the single neat package we used to use. So we set them up with reading, they come out and get their scores, we go back in with them and set them up with writing, they test, come out and get their scores, we take them in and set them up with math. No two tests have the same log-in procedures. No two have the same final procedures. This one, you don't close out till you come out and make sure your results printed, that one finished automatically and boots you off the computer. The old placement tests were one simple package, leading from reading to writing to math seamlessly. And the results printed off on a single page. The improved system is a definite fail in my book. And I feel such pity for the people trying to register. Wait and wait and wait some more. Who would have thought it would take the whole day just to sign up for classes?

But we're busy, and that make the day fly by.

So I'm planning my wardrobe for Hawaii. One change of underwear in the carry-on. I was remembering how, in my slender youth, (this was before butt-floss thongs)I could stick my string bikini skivvies into a sandwich bag,(no one wore bras.) Now my bra is underwired and has padded shoulder straps, and my bun cozies could be used to dry a van. A one quart zip-lock just barely does the job for my unmentionables.

Used to be my makeup bag weighed a couple of pounds. Now I make do with a mascara, some brown eye-shadow to color in my anemic brows, and a tinted chapstick. Hair care? A brush and some bobby pins. No mousse, no hairdryer, no hot rollers. Shoes? Runners which I will wear on the plane and do most of my walking in, and skimmers for pool and dinner wear. Used to need a pair of shoes to go with every outfit. Now I pick my outfits to go with the shoes.

But where the makeup bag has shrunk, the medicine bag has arrived. Vitamins, his blood pressure meds, my anti-depressants, his diabetes meds, my calcium supplements, our Ginko, our fish-oil, aspirins, sudafeds, Immodium, Neosporin, motion sickness meds, anti-fungal gel (athlete's foot is all over the beach, Catch it early) Antihistamines for bug bites. rash ointment, and don't forget the talcum powder. On a sticky hot day, I can raise a blister between my cheeks without the talc. (T M I Roxie!)

Any packing hints or suggestions? I'm always on the lookout to make travel lighter and easier.

8 Comments:

  • At 9:07 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    I use a lot of eagle creek packing cubes and such to keep my things separated during travel, along with drawstring bags for my knitting projects. We often end up getting extra bag searching, I think because we tend to have a lot of electronics with us, so having it all sorted into little packages makes the process go a lot more smoothly.

     
  • At 9:08 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    Oh, and I always pack way more socks than anything else. My feet sweat a lot, so I like to be able to change my socks twice in a day if I'm doing a lot of walking. Saves me a lot of blisters.

     
  • At 11:02 AM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    I loved the part about picking the outfit to go with the shoes. You're my kinda gal!
    When I travel, I take an extra change or two that I have worn for a while. When returning to home, I leave those behind because I always buy things when traveling. This way, no worries about carrying too many bags.

     
  • At 11:44 AM , Blogger Julie said...

    The first part of your blog post reminds me of every "I have to go back to high school" nightmare I ever had. Thanks for that. :)

    A few tips on Hawaii: You might want to try Gold Bond Corn Starch Stuff (if you aren't allergic) it seems to work better than talc, at least for me. That's what I always used. Going without underwear helps, too, if you can stand it. Fungal infections aren't particularly due to the beach; it's the climate that causes all the skin problems. I once had gunk on my lower legs, the 'local fix' was to go stand in the surf - the salt water fixed it right up. Goldenseal ointment works better than anything else for coral scrapes. Go to the Aloha Flea Market for dresses for you, shirts for him, and anything touristy you need/want. Eat at the Brew Moon in Ward Center. Go to Kualoa Beach Park. Look out for me in your suitcase.

     
  • At 4:16 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    What a nightmare signing up for classes! I think sometimes change is not necessarily good.

    I'm a terrible packer. I tend to way overpack but I think that's because I don't travel much so I'm not used to it. I'm just always afraid to not have something I want. And I'm right there with you on the medicine front. I know I need to go see a rheumatologist but I'm afraid it'll mean some more drugs.....

     
  • At 9:53 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    I pack much lighter these days and wash clothes more often. I read a packing tip about rolling the clothes instead of folding to reduce wrinkling. Seems to work fairly well.

     
  • At 5:05 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    No hints on packing, just hope you enjoy the trip.

     
  • At 8:32 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    The Professor would agree with Galad. He always rolls his clothes. We pack very lightly--have gone to Europe twice carrying one backpack each so we don't have to check any baggage. Instead of a purse, I take a second smaler black pack and He carries it with our daily needs during our trip.

    The best information and list on packing light is found on Rick Steve's website!

    PS: Remember sunscreen! Or buy it as soon as you get to HI.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home