Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, October 31, 2009

blogtober farewell

I gave the game a shot.
I missed a couple days.
My record's not so hot.
I told a couple jokes.
Some were funny, some were not.
whenever I am pressured,
I usually turn out squat
so 29 of 31 blogs?
I'm glad for what I got.

And now, we can blog freely again. wheeeee!

DH and I met with MJ and RW for breakfast today, out in the tules at a nice golfcourse clubhouse. And people were playing golf in costume! Wolverine, a boyscout, a buddhist monk and Captain Hook were the first foursome we saw. It kind of sets a theme for the day. We went home and stayed home.

And then DH got a wild hair, and we re-arranged the shelves and tables in the kitchen. He also has an inner magpie, and once we purged the cooking equipment we never use (I have a thing for serving bowls- he loves gadgets) we were able to move a whole set of shelves out of the kitchen altogether. Space! Light! Freedom! Boxes for Goodwill.

Now we wait for the trickertreaters to show. I had three pumpkins carved and set out, but one has already taken a dive from its perch, and it isn't even dark yet. I don't know - it was looking pretty depressed when I put it out. Winter squash suicide is a problem on nights like this. Sometimes, the first of November, the street is littered with shattered orange gourds. I don't mind. I have seen jack-o-lanterns sit in front of houses for months, gradually subsuming into mounds of hairy gray mold, like drunken grandfathers sinking into senility. The bits of broken pumpkin can just be picked up and tossed onto the compost heap without any sense of guilt that you are "Warehousing" a friend or relation. People get attached to things with faces - even candle-housing gourds. Want some chocolate?

5 Comments:

  • At 6:07 PM , Blogger Rose Red said...

    Heh, nice poem!! Well done for making it through.

    That would have been funny seeing golfers in costume!

     
  • At 6:43 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    My favorite thing to do with the jack o'lantern is put it on the edge of the compost bin and watch it get black and squashy. Then when it gets too scary I can just give it a little push into the bin!

    The smiley face ones usually turn the scariest!

     
  • At 7:13 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Yes, more chocolate, please.

     
  • At 10:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "subsumbing into mounds of hairy, gray mold like drunken grandfathers"

    Brilliant!

    You should have chocolate for your writing.
    Barb

     
  • At 9:14 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Winter squash suicide-- LOVE it! And yeah-- we've had Stinky Pete the Poonkin Ghost living on our front porch before!

    (We put spiced candles in our poonkins last night... at least they got to SMELL like pie!)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home