Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, October 24, 2009

punkin huntin'

It rained all week - gloomy October cold and soggy. And then the day we had decided to go punkin huntin' arrived, and it is gorgeous! The ground's muddy but that's why we have boots. And there's sunshine!



We arrived at Liepold's farm about 10AM. There were already mob of happy parents and confused kidlets checking out the pony rides and the corn maze and the punkin-chunker (a giant, ground-mounted slingshot. You pay a small fee and are allowed to choose a small pumpkin, load it into the slingshot, haul back, and let-er-fly! This sport is quite popular with young males, and the ground in front of the chunker is littered with broken pumpkin bits.




Of course, the farmer also grew a couple giant gourds. DH is included for perspective.

Is this not a perfect October photo? Now how does one select JUST the perfect pumpkin? Not too big, not too small, not too tall, not too squatty . . .



We got THREE pumpkins. Also in our wheelbarrow is a dellicata squash (the longish one) and a carnival squash (the one like a colorful acorn) I love squash, though DH hate's 'em, so he is going to cook them for me and see how I like them. We may try to grow a squash next summer.

Now I have 50 plus pounds of pumpkins to clean and carve. Whee-hee! This was a perfect punkin huntin' day! You take memories like this and store them carefully in a clean corner of your mind, take them out often to polish and appreciate, and rejoice in the pleasure of having them.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:31 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I like Cinderella pumpkins. We were going to go today but the rain kept us inside. Maybe tomorrow. I don't want to buy one at the grocery store. And I'm with the DH, I don't like cooked squash.

     
  • At 7:05 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I was feeling sorry for the U-pick places as we drove in the rain to the library today. It has rained nearly every day in October, with about one or two days off.

     
  • At 11:57 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Lovely-- like you said, a perfect October day, and to the victor goes the backed punkin seeds!

     
  • At 9:19 AM , Blogger Em said...

    Man, now my grocery-store pumpkin experience will feel so boring! It looks like you and DH had a perfect day, with all the sunshine. Punkin-chunkin sounds like fun, sometimes one needs a little harmless wanton destruction.

     
  • At 10:17 AM , Blogger Kate said...

    Good time! I haven't really gone punkin huntin' in several years, and I really miss it. And the punkin' chunkin' sounds really fun, I wish I could've done it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home