Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

It's the season of the squash

How can you tell that someone has no friends at all? You see them in the produce department in early September, BUYING zucchini.

At work, someone brought in a bag of the things that had hidden under the leaves till they were too big to just slice and saute. One was big enough to carve out like a jack-o-lantern. One was about the size of a baseball bat. Several were bigger than my cats. I know the idea is that you grate the meat and make pounds of zucchini bread and cake and relish to freeze for enjoyment in the winter, but somehow that just sounds like work. I didn't take any.

Lately I seem to be so busy, but there is so little I can point to that I have accomplished. Still, litterboxes don't clean themselves, the laundry fairy hasn't visited lately, and if I don't take those naps, no one will.

I've gotten a bit of knitting done, and have a bit more in mind.

Here's the gorgeous laceweight yarn that Heide of Serendiptous Opportuknitty dyed, then sent to me because is has so many knots in it that she doesn't know what to do with it. It's pink and blue and purple and soft as a persian kitten.

And here's the blue mohair boucle I'm going to carry along with it. If you have lots of knots in your laceweight, don't knit lace. The curly mohair will conceal all SORTS of overlapping ends. Such a lot of yardage. Is is a shawl, or a vest? We shall see.




Here's tha last of a pound of yarn I bought at the sock-summit. I got a cowl, a hat, a pair of gloves and a scarf out of it. I suppose I could have knit a sweater, but I didn't feel like it.



And this peculiar thing is a thermal mask for a motorcycle-riding buddy of DH's. The wind on the chin and neck is just too chilly at five AM, and he's a guy who would rather be comfy than look cool. DH suggested it, and I created it out of fairly fluffy handspun merino, knit on smallish needles, using a slipped stitch. It wasn't fun to knit, but it sure is dense and wind-proof. We'll see how it works.


So between that and work, that's what I've been up to. What's new with you?

5 Comments:

  • At 11:20 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Reading, decluttering (again), working (a little), knitting, spinning.

     
  • At 4:47 PM , Anonymous tlbwest said...

    I don't think those big clunker zucchinis are good for much, so don't feel guilty. The Brits allegedly chop up their giant "vegetable marrows" (same thing) for chutney - but there are far better things to use for chutney - such as the grocery bag of pears a friend gave me. Yup, that's what I've been doing. I really don't see wasting any good ingredients on overgrown zucchs. What you do with them is hack them up and feed them to your livestock, or your compost pile. Yum.

     
  • At 5:42 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    I feel so friendless. Usually I'm the one pawning zuccini off on everyone, but I didn't have a garden this year. The "motorcycle" mask looks like the perfect thing to wear when holding up your LYS. Okay, so just kidding, you'd want to wear something less distinctive or at least made out of crappy acrylic to throw everyone off the track.

     
  • At 3:35 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Work, I've been working long hours. The mask is spiffy!!

     
  • At 11:26 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Fun projects! and I LOVE the windproof cowl! That's awesome!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home