Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, September 03, 2009

I succumbed

OK, I finally gave in and joined ravelry. I'm sannasbag. I am just dipping my toe into the maelstrom so far. I need to be very firm with myself because I already have several holes to pour my spare time into, and the loom sits warped, ready, and ignored on the back porch while pounds of roving await my spinningwheel and attention. Not to mention the writing, and a couple of boxes of fabric that can be sewn into quilts. . . Oh, housework should get wedged in there somewhere, too. And the Portland Purls are knitting at my house on Saturday, Sept. 12. And then there's that pesky paying job . . .

I am, however, down to only one project on the needles - and it's a brainless knit for quite a while, so I can manage a lot of other things while doing k2,p2 for 20 inches.

It rained last night. Today really feels like early September. Everything is washed clean and yet the brown edges are starting to show. And three long-married couples I know are splitting up. I first noticed the seasonal shuffle when I was in college. Spring and fall, couples split and re-combined. It was all so casual in college, though. You collected your stray hair clips and lipsticks from his place, threw away his razor and athlete's foot gell when you ran across it in your medicine chest, had a good cry, and went to class. Now, people who have been together over a decade have property to split up. And custody questions. And they try to be rational, civilized adults while their arms and legs are being ripped off because that's how a divorce feels. Meanwhile, people who love them both have to stand back, not take sides, be loving friends to everyone, and hope that the divorce thing isn't contagious. Major bummer.

Ending on a more positive note, DH is taking tomorrow off and we are going to the State Fair. It's a long-standing tradition of ours, to go the Friday before Labor Day. Fewer crowds then. So we can stroll the vendor's booths and buy beef jerky and fudge and maybe a new pot or pan for DH. We'll cruise the sheep and goat barns, look over the 4H project shed (Farmer's kids need to learn how to weld. Did you know that?) We will wander through the women's building where I will get inspired by the quilts and sweaters and spinning, and scold myself again for not getting my poems into the poetry contest in time. I will marvel at the biggest turnip and the best dahlia, and the way the canners have sliced the carrots exactly the same size and shape and arranged them in the jars like jewels. Pickles with each cucumber exactly the same length. How many flats of cukes do you have to pick to get a jarfull of identical pickles? And I'll eat kettle corn and frozen yogurt and stay the hell away from the deep-fried turkey legs. And we'll go home with our heads packed full of more good memories. "Preserve your memories. They're all that's left you."

9 Comments:

  • At 8:40 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    The break up of any marriage makes me so very sad. I'm sorry for all your friends.

    Enjoy the state fair and think of me. Because of you and the state fair, I am a spinner! Thanks!

    Our county fair had a guy selling chocolate covered bacon! A friend of mine succumbed and bought some! She reported that the salty/sweet combo was good, but it was WAY overpriced for the amount you got in your big box.

     
  • At 10:55 AM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    It sounds like a lot of fun to go to the county fair. Can't say I've ever been to one, but know i would enjoy it. Looking forward to your photo-filled post about it.

     
  • At 12:43 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Sounds like you have the routine down! I say be daring, go for the deep fried turkey leg!! Throw caution to the wind!
    Or...maybe sneak in some shears and clip one of those sheep! LOL
    Have fun!

     
  • At 1:28 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    I would so love to go to the fair with you. Enjoy it for both of us!

    And, yeah, I hate it when long-married people split up, especially if they have kids. Even if it's clearly time to move on, it just bites.

    And clearly your memory is better than mine, because I could remember the tune and all the words, but I couldn't remember the name until I looked it up. Bookends, of course.

     
  • At 3:47 PM , Blogger Bells said...

    Good on you for joining. It only has to be a time suck if you let it. It's just a useful resource, as a starting point. Anything after that is what you make of it!

     
  • At 11:25 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Yeah-- I get depressed when my friends split up too. And now you're making me want to go back to Ravelry--I've been remiss.

    And oh, Roxie, I love seeing a state fair from your eyes:-)

     
  • At 5:15 AM , Blogger Kate said...

    Deep-fried turkey legs are great, what are you talking about? I always get them at the Ren Faire up in Pennsylvania when I go. Fills me up for a while, too.
    Splits are upsetting, but you're right, it is seasonal. And the older you get, the more of a to-do it is. It's a shame.

     
  • At 10:21 AM , Anonymous tlbwest said...

    Have fun. The state fair was never the same after the time I threw up the pizza with over-cooked green peppers (age 11).
    Sorry about the break-ups.You have a tender heart - which is a good thing - so it hurts you, too.
    No one I know, I sincerely hope and devoutly pray. I don't think it is catching, though - 42 years and counting, chez W.

     
  • At 11:14 AM , Blogger Em said...

    Divorces always make me sad, but I like to think of them like the salt on your watermelon. The little bit of salt makes the sweetness of couples who have been married for years that much stronger. Or something like that. Your fair sounds like fun, I wish we could find a county fair nearby to wander through. Also, thanks. I'm going to have Simon and Garfunkel stuck in my head all weekend. Must go find some to download...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home