Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, August 06, 2009

RIP

I took the lappytop in and said, "I think we have a virus" The nice geek lad said, 'Well, either it's insane, or it has brain damage. Let's see which it is." As he was plugging it in I said, "It says 'unmountable boot volume'. Are it's little shoes too tight?" He looked at me oddly, then chuckled, then grew serious.

"I'm afraid that means brain damage. Your hard drive is like a little record player, and in your computer, the needle has broken off and scratched the record. I sure hope you had things backed up."

"Did I do something to break it?" I asked. He reassured me that it's just something that can happen to old computers. It's about two years old fer crysakes!

He tells me that I might get it repaired for something like $500. DH sees no point in repairing something as out of date as my old laptop was. It's only two years old!!

So now I am shopping for a new laptop. Meanwhile, Lisa suggested I put the old one in the freezer. What do I have to lose? I hope I can pull the latest chapters of the book off the drive. If not, I'll have to rewrite a couple thousand words. Oh well.

Dear little lap top. Not insane. Brain damage and total aphasia. Rest In Peace.

7 Comments:

  • At 11:49 AM , Anonymous tlbwest said...

    PW says why haven't you called JE?
    Also,says replacing a hard drive, assuming that is the problem, should cost significantly less than a new laptop. PW also suggests as a first try wiping its memory and re-installing everything, because it sounded like a virus to him.
    Of course that won't recover the manuscript. Sorry.
    My very old non-portable clunker just keeps going. Freezes up sometimes and has to be restarted if I go too far afield on the internet. No big deal. Adele has yet to forgive me for going to a flat-screen moniter. She loved to sit on the large old one and soak up the heat and whatever other sorts of radiation it emitted. Maybe that contributed to her kitty alopecia.

     
  • At 12:18 PM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    Aw, Roxie, that's too bad about both the (OLD???) computer and the manuscript. I'd try both the freezer and then what PW says. Got nothing to lose but some time.

     
  • At 2:58 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I would listen to tlbWest. Do not do anything till do as they suggested. Did you take it to computer geeks?? They are terrible and have been wrong quite a bit!! If you decide to get rid of it and buy a new one anyways, can I get the old one? I know a very bright student who may be able to fix it up to use for basics for someone I know in need.
    But I do think you should give it a try as suggested!!

     
  • At 7:10 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Oh dear me! So sad. I agree with the others, What do you have to lose?

    This also makes me a little nervous. My little sweet laptop is going on three years.

     
  • At 8:38 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Find me at Sock Summit and I will give you the phone number of the wonderful young man who fixed my desktop computer, and keeps it virus/trojan horse free to this day. Nate is a genius!

     
  • At 8:38 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Plus, I want to kinneer you for my blog; LOL!

     
  • At 6:19 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    You are SO taking this better than I would be...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home