Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, August 01, 2009

And in other news

MJ and I have finished another quilt. This one was actually planned and pieced and organized. We met with Mary Lee Alder of Medical Teams International for lunch and the final tieing of the layers. Before and after the delivery of the food, we all worked on the quilt, so we insisted that Mary Lee get into the photo with us. MJ is at the left, me in the middle, and Mary Lee at the right. We call this one the cherry box quilt because the background fabric is yellow with clusters of red cherries and green leaves. The next quilt we are working on is much more random, using up leftovers and introducing more colors.

Mary Lee told us that our quilts go to Moldova and Mexico City and Africa and Afghanistan. Anywhere there are cold people, they can use our quilts. I feel so proud and happy!

While we were sitting in the pub, tieing the quilt, a guy came up to us and asked if we could use more fabric. "Always." "Well I know this ole woman who has a storage unit full of fabrics. I'm going to ask her if she wants to donate it and save the rental costs. I'll call you." A storage unit full of fabrics? Oh dear. I hope they're not polyester doubleknits. Well, who knows. Poly doubleknits might make really good rag rugs. And if they turn out to be good quilting fabrics, I may have that piece-a-thon I have been fantasizing about. I'll need sewers, pressers, pinners, cutters and runners. And I'll need a buncha batts. Hmmmm . . .

And some knitting has been going on as well. With this chill cheater, I have essayed into lace. (Gasp!)

Sort of. It's simple feather and fan with increases worked according to my own inventions, and finished off with my beloved mitered squares. With hat and mittens to match, I am a rosy fashion plate. Of course, it's going to be months before I need to wear it, but when it does turn cold, I'll be ready.

9 Comments:

  • At 8:16 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    Gorgous cowl! You have such a long and elegant neck (Mine's a total of 1 1/2 inches long and cowl's strangle me) Love the Cherry Box quilt and I've crossed my fingers that you'll get tons of wonderful new fabrics and save that poor woman from paying rental fees.

    p.s. you know there's something wrong when 95 feels cool in the Pacific North West.

     
  • At 9:23 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    A storage unit full of fabric? Oh my. Yes, I hope it's not all polyester.

    The lace neck warmer is lovely. Very Roxy.

     
  • At 9:27 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Oh, I was going to say, when I was unsure I asked another judge. Because I was new,(and she is the lys owner and knew some of the pieces) we conferred. We focused on the difficulty of the pattern and evenness of the knitting to determine between 1st and 2nd. It was harder sometimes to remove my personal likes, etc. but sometimes it was easier if I recognized my preference for blue might influence me.

     
  • At 12:21 PM , Anonymous LindaG said...

    Beautiful, beautiful lace and always-beautiful Roxie! Count me in for the piece-a-thon. Many hugs!

     
  • At 6:35 PM , Blogger Rose Red said...

    Love the quilt - you are all very generous making such beautiful things to give away - so many people who knit for charity don't seem to make very attractive things, and I think that's a bit of a shame. I hope the storage unit is full of the good stuff.

     
  • At 8:28 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    An entire storage unit?? Hope it works out to be some good material for you. (BTW, that would be quite a stash if it takes that much storage!) Love the new knit, you are so creative!

     
  • At 11:00 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    That is so pretty! I wonder how it would look done with that thread used for filet crochet. Ohhhh!

     
  • At 11:02 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I'm breathless with the loveliness of the chill cheater and the quilt. YOu have WONDERFUL taste and skills... (a storage room full of fabric? Oh Goddess... I could do that with yarn some day... I swear I'll donate it first!)

     
  • At 8:06 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    The quilt is lovely. Nice, NICE job on the chill cheater. Those are your colors.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home