Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, May 18, 2009

What a busy weekend!

The mail arrives late on Saturdays. And it brought me a present! Donna Lee made me, out of the kindness of her heart, Tofutsies!
Are they not beautiful? And they are sooo comfortable! Wowser! I love hand-knit socks, and I'm far too impatient to knit them. You have to pay attention to things like heels and patterns, and then you have to do the whole thing all over again.The dreaded second-sock syndrome. I can manage simple ribbed tube socks, but those just ain't pretty, and these are! Thank you, Donna Lee!

DH and I went shopping, and much to my amazement, I heard a voice from the produce department calling out, "Eat meeeee!" Look at that artichoke! Is this not a glorious huge thistle? DH agreed to buy it and cook it, but wouldn't even try it, so I had the whole thing to myself, and it was the most delicious artichoke I have ever eaten in my life! I think artichokes are happy food, because you are SUPPOSED to eat them with your fingers! It took me hours to devour it. Vegetable bliss! I'm going to go see if it has any buddies still in the store.

The roses are beginnning to bloom. This one has lost it's tag, so I don't know the name, but she's hella hardy, surviving frost and blackspot and throwing out party-pink blooms that smell like Grandmas's handkerchief drawer. Swoony sweet roseamundo!

Sunday morning I rolled out early and toddled off to the Knitting Guild of America sales show. I didn't bother with any of the classes, just headed straight for the vendors. Rather a sparse showing, and, due to the economy, a lot of worried faces. Can't say that I did much to help the situation, either. I picked up end of show deals. A pound of hand-dyed merino from Newton Country for $35. What? It's worsted weight, pink and purpple, wool, and on sale. What's not to like?

And I bought a basket woven in Ghanna. Again, end of show sale, only $25.

Nice and big and good for anything you need. Just because I already have four similar baskets from the same guy doesn't mean I didn't need another. They are so sturdy and they hold even more than you would think. I can load it almost too heavy to carry.

And then we went to see "Star Trek," and like everyone else in the nation, we enjoyed it vastly!! What a dynomite concept - The original crew in a new generation! Well written, well acted, well executed, and with Nimoy's signature sense of humor! We'll probably go see it again.

The happy food, the happy movies, the happy weather (sunny and mid 80s) and the increased dosage of Prozac are doing the trick. The grey fillm is lifting from life, the bad dreams have stopped, and the disturbing impulses haven't intruded for days now. (Like, at least one or two days already.) Those impulses were the worst part of it. I'm used to the committe of personalities I can identify in my own head. They're all aspects of the essential me. But these impulses are cold and unfamiliar, as if from right outside myself. DH assures me that everyone gets them from time to time, and I think he's right, but they were getting so loud and frequent. I can understand why people would believe in demonic posession. There's a Russian proverb to the effect that, "You can't keep the birds of misery from flying over your head, but you don't need to let them nest in your beard." Good ol' Prozac gives me a metaphorical clean shave!

7 Comments:

  • At 10:30 AM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    I love the proverb! Sometimes it takes a lot of work to keep your head moving away!! Hang in there -

     
  • At 12:56 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Those socks are so cool! And I love the basket. You can have a different knitting project to go into each one! LOL
    I am glad you are feeling better.

     
  • At 11:29 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Thank you, Roxie! I'm so glad you shared the pictures and the happy days that helped to scare the demons away! May they stay gone for a good long time! (Yeah--we'll see Star Trek again too!!!)

     
  • At 1:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    As always, I love the way you face challenges. Now my challenge is how to kill my roses. Hubby planted them and soon lost interest in their care. I sprayed, fertilized, pruned and baby sat them for years until I awakened and realized that if I killed them, I wouldn't have to futz with the thorny, wimpy devils anymore.

    So I hacked, them to the ground and ignore them all year long and they reward me with profuse blooms and a na-na-na-na attitude.

    I think this Star Trek is the best of all of the movies. Even Spock is hot. I'm with you..we'll see it again.
    Barb

     
  • At 11:40 AM , Blogger The Fibers of Life said...

    I am glad you are feeling better too Roxie. I have found the healing effects of anti-depressants and have taken then since 1993. When I realized what a difference they made I soon realized that I had been clinically depressed most of my adult life. Hang in there . . for me it was like finding the person I always wished I was and boy I liked her. You will too. Eat lots of strawberries! Love you.

     
  • At 6:00 PM , Anonymous Lynne said...

    Yay, I'm glad you are doing better! Three cheers!!

     
  • At 8:30 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Sorry to hear you've been feeling down but I'm glad you're feeling better now. I loved Star Trek, too. It was amazing how those young actors could find the essence of the original characters and apply it to their roles.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home