Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, May 16, 2009

a long and rambling post . . .

Friday morning was sunny and warm. MJ and I met and went for a walk in one of our upper-scale neighborhoods. (Eastmoreland) Most of the homes were built in the 1920s and have been well maintained. This is the Reed College neighborhood and many professors and deans and so on lived here. The streets were planted with trees which have grown huge and venerable. The rhododendrons are the size of trees. We strolled along enjoying the greenery,
And the magentary,


And the pink dogwoodery.

MJ is a notable athlete, but very kindly kept her pace throttled back to my feeble strength. We paused often to discuss different houses, identifying this as craftsman style and that as prarie style and the other as dutch colonial or federal or tudor(The faux half-timbering gives it away every time.). There were a few 50s era ranch houses, and one intriguing stucco bungalow in an art-deco style - I think. And color schemes and garden ideas and window treatments - we walked and talked and had a marvelous time, and I wasn't even worn out at the end of an hour and a half. MJ is a kind and wise woman. IF the first time is gentle and pleasant, I'm likely to be willing to go for future walks.

Then I came home, with endorphins charging around my system, and settled down to the sewing machine. Using some more of Amy Lane's donated flannel, (With bunnies and teddy bears printed in pastels) I made an arrythmic baby quilt. It's not at all symmetrical nor even properly balanced, but it used the scraps just about completely.

Then I took the scraps from the yellow, red and green dino quilt, added left-over navy blue flannel and came up with yet another kid-size quilt.

And as for knitting at work, I have been using scraps there, too. Measure out how long you want your scarf to be, then triple that. Make a slipknot there, and do a LONG tail cast on. break off the yarn about six inches long, and let the end dangle. Pick up another yarn, let about six inches dangle, and knit back. Repeat untill you have used up almost all your yarn. Bind off. Take three adjacent strands of the yarn at the end, pull the strands snug, and tie an over-hand knot. Repeat all across both ends to make fringe and trim to tidy. Wrap around your throat, or put it away with lavendar in readiness for Christmas or the first brutal cold snap.

At breakfast this morning, DH gave me the ripest of the strawberries off his waffle and told me I didn't eat enough happy food. Then we went grocery shopping and he made sure there was lots of fruit for me. Strawberries realy ARE happy food, aren't they? I don't mean those styrofoam things they strip-mine down in Texas. I mean real, tender, sweet, juicy berries. Soon, oh soon the brief three weeks when the Hood berries are in season will be upon us, and I will eat myself into a strawberry stupor. Hood berries are too fragile to ship out of state. If you want to taste bliss, you'll just have to come and visit me in early June. I'll make shortbread and real whipped cream and we can eat a whole flat of berries for dinner, and put sliced berries in our breakfast champagne.

When we got home from the grocery shopping, DH got the bikes out and we took a little ride around the neighborhood. About 3.5 miles. My legs were starting to feel it, and we figured it was better to take it easy, rather than suffer later. Yes, I'm a wuss and a wimp and a flabby old broad. But this can all be changed with patience and determination. And more fun walks and bike rides.

So now I'm sitting in the backyard, exaulting in the warmth and the sunshine, and keeping company with old blind Jack-cat who likes to sniff the air but doesn't car to venture more than about three feet away from me. Quiet and happy for both of us.

I am quite astounded at how many of us are having bad dreams and trouble sleeping. WE need to load our heads with more happy stuff! Happy movies, happy books and who cares if they're "worthy" or not? Look at the movies from the Great Depression. The good guys won, the bad guys lost, the guy got the girl and everyone broke into song and dance. More of that, please.

What's your favorite happy movie?

12 Comments:

  • At 6:24 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    My favorite "happy movie"? The Princess Bride. Villains, heros, giants, Rodents of Unusual Size, and a happy ending. What more could you ask for?

    I'm afraid to get the bike out. I don't think I'd make 3.5 miles on my first trip. I have to start slow but I am determined to ride this summer.

     
  • At 6:54 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    The outings both sound lovely. My strawberry plants are inaccessible right now because of weeds and that durned tree that blew over in December. I hope they produce like gangbusters... they may be the only garden I have this year. I bet that old blind Jack is the sweetest and most wonderful kitty to be around. I love waking early to share my coffee and chin scritches with my rickity old lady. I took a picture of her that I need to post from the other morning. Enjoy the lovely weather.

     
  • At 7:31 PM , Anonymous Lynne said...

    Favorite happy movie... hm... not sure I have one... a happy movie that made me feel good to be me and good to be alive.... there is one, but I can't think of the name! Sad, but I'm like that! Hey, want to say thanks for speaking out on the med issue. And I also wanted to say that you inspire me greatly. I love your tea parties, the fact that you wrote books in plural, and that you are so darn creative and productive!! So, warm and fuzzy thoughts coming your way, ok? Hugs too, as needed!

     
  • At 4:51 AM , Anonymous goldensparks said...

    Hi Friend.. Interesting Post.. Keep up the good work.. Will drop by your blog often.. Do find time to visit my blog and post your comments.. Take care.. Cheers mate!

     
  • At 2:46 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    I love Strictly Ballroom. It is my happy movie.

     
  • At 4:14 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    So I see I am not the only person who strolls with a camera in hand shooting pictures of colorful flowers and plants!

     
  • At 9:08 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Just back from 4 days in OR. Saw Laurie. Spent all the rest of my time with bro and sil. Good therapy. I am much happier, not sad about life, since moving to present location. Sunshine is good.

     
  • At 9:25 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    My favorite happy movie is Donna Lee's favorite happy movie! Princess Bride--makes me happy every time! Sounds like a lovely set of days--and Strawberries really ARE happy food!

     
  • At 6:08 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I like Princess Bride, Everafter, and Stardust.

    I quit watching horror flicks along ago, figured there was enough darkness in my own head. I didn't need someone else's creepy, bloody mess in there also.

     
  • At 9:06 AM , Blogger Tara said...

    I will use any excuse to watch Pride and Prejudice. :)

     
  • At 11:32 AM , Blogger The Fibers of Life said...

    My favorite happy movie is "Love Actually". It is Brit lovely that charms me time after time. It is just a warm and wonderful movie! And then a follow up of Pride and Prejudice...oh could it be better Thankfully I have them both and use liberally.

     
  • At 12:29 PM , Anonymous =Tamar said...

    The Court Jester. or maybe Galaxy Quest. Groundhog Day is good. The Princess Bride, yes. I'm also fond of The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home