Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, May 02, 2009

My singer died

After a couple decades, one canvas tent, any number of pieced comforters, several dresses, placemats, pillows, etc, etc, my second-hand industrial singer ruptured a disc. Actually, it cracked a drive-belt gear. It will still hobble along in a limping fashion, but who knows for how long? SO last weekend, DH and I went looking at sewing machines. Then I came home and looked on the internet, and tought about things.
this morning, over breakfast, DH told me that the kitties have been talking to him and even though I'm a lousy cat-slave, I'm a good cat-mom, and they wanted to get me a present for Mom's day.

This in my Mother's Day present from the cats - a Janome Magnolia with a rotary bobbin and 27 different stitches. And it's strong enough to sew another canvas tent if I want to.

I brought it home (singing with glee!)and sat down straight away with new machine and instruction book. And in about fourty minutes I whipped out a nice sturdy heavy-duty denim tote bag with pockets and pretty hems. Oh my! New toy. There's gonna be a whole lotta sewin' goin' on.


Also on the died and repaced list today was two azaleas in the entry to the front door, which we replaced with daphne bushes!

And DH even repaired the screen door. He has been Mr. Handy Man around here today.


While I was sewing, the thunder began to roll and the lightning flashed and pea-sized hail came rattling down. The street outside ran with water like a shallow crick. I wouldn't have been surprised to see trout swim by. I know, the folks in the midwest would laugh as our mild and gentle weather, but it was a pretty impressive storm for us.

9 Comments:

  • At 5:09 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    oooh, new machine! That looks wonderful. 27 stitches. Sounds like someone will be having a good time!

     
  • At 5:26 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Aren't the new machines snazzy? My machine came from JC Penney in 1977; it uses cams to do embroidery and I was smart enough to buy all of them at the time even though I've only used 2 or 3 of them. It's so old the head is made of cast iron; the new lightweight plastic and electronic ones seem so flimsy by comparison. Thankfully, ToolMan has kept it oiled, greased, and humming along lo, these many years!

     
  • At 5:27 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Oooh! Sewing machine love!

    My sil told me about the thunder! Pleae arrange for pleasant weather in about two weeks as I'll be visiting.

     
  • At 5:47 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Ooooh... pretty... you HAVE been a good cat-mom. (My Brother machine will need to be dusted, oiled, and stroked like a horny old man before it puts out for me... he's been neglected.)

     
  • At 6:49 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    What a wonderful gift for you to play with and enjoy. I know you are going to come up with even more wonderful creations.

     
  • At 8:34 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    It was a sad day for me when my Singer Athena 2000 died in faithful service to the family. I was able to trade her in, however, for a couple of hundred dollars towards a new Singer. Yes, I'm quite the Singer devotee.

     
  • At 10:14 AM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    Congrats on the early Mother's Day present. Aren't new toys wonderful? They can really reinvigorate your crafts. HAPPY SEWING!

     
  • At 4:44 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    What a good kitty mommy you've been!!

    We didn't get hail, but the thunder and lightening was enough to make Uggy hide in the linen closet.

     
  • At 1:05 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    I love new toys. But does it do the cubic illusion stitch?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home