Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, April 02, 2009

still sewing

The house is a festering mess, but we are closing in on the finish of the quilt. I took an afternoon to embroider one of the lanterns. Tomorrow, I'll strip piece step three, and then comes the funnest part - laying out the squares on the floor and shifting them around till I like the arrangement. Getting a good spread of small prints and big prints, being sure to keep the colors well dispersed, and watching that the lights and darks don't cluster too much. I'll probably spend most of tomorrow afternoon picking up and putting down, then standing back and squinting . . . The inner child adores this. Back when I WAS a child, my favorite toys were construction toys. Tinker toys, Lincoln Logs, and every chance I got, I loved to play with my brother's erector sets. (Hmmm. That sounds pretty darn kinky, doesn't it? ) Back in the fifties, toys had genders and girls were supposed to want to play with dolls. I never figured how to play with dolls. What do you do with them? Make up stories and have the dolls act them out? Why not do your own acting?

Today, I got a chance to join LG for lunch and afterwards, I used the gift certificate she gave me for my birthday.
I blew almost $20 at the Button Emporium on four buttons. With a quarter for scale, you can see that I like honking big buttons. Nothing succeeds like excess

8 Comments:

  • At 10:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm amazed at the progress you're making on that quilt. Do you quilt in your sleep? It's going to be beautiful.
    I'm going to try your dress for success technique. Do my buttons need to be bigger than yours? (I'm not sure of the pecking order.)

    Happy Birthday!
    Hugs.
    Barb

     
  • At 5:01 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Those are some big buttons but they are so pretty. The flowers are shiny.

    I like the piecing part of the quilt, too. I like to see how the colors react to one another and how you can come up with a totally different look by moving pieces around.

     
  • At 9:49 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Squeee, pansy buttons!

     
  • At 5:53 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    It's not excess, darling-- IT'S FLAIR!

     
  • At 8:38 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    If anyone can carry off those buttons, you can, Roxie. Got a plan for them yet?

     
  • At 3:15 PM , Anonymous SusanLS said...

    The buttons are beautiful. But some of us just can't pull off big buttons. Some of us are short and squat. I had a maternity dress with big buttons and I looked like a clown in it. Come to think of it, I look like a clown in most things...and out of them as well......oh, well. We can't all be Roxie!

     
  • At 7:21 PM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Those buttons are pretty. What are they going on?

     
  • At 8:52 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    I never played with dolls, either. My mom couldn't understand it. I was such a disappointment.

    I also liked toys for boys. When my neighbors got a Hot Wheels racetrack I told my mom I wanted one. She said I couldn't have it because I was a girl. I showed her. I grew up and raced REAL cars.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home