Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, January 29, 2009

next chapter

As luck would have it, and luck was very much in my corner, I got to work on Tuesday before the snow hit. The I-5 freeway was closed for a brief spell and traffic was snpw-snarled most of the day. Finally, about 3PM it began to melt. By 5, when it was time for me to drive home, the roads were clear and wet, and the traffic clots had dispersed. I got home safe and sound.

But I was cold. I was cold clear down to my bones. I took a hot bath and went to bed early. DH reports that when he came to bed, I was curled up tight, which is quite unusual because I usually sleep flat on my back like a neatly laid corpse. Around 4AM I woke feeling miserable. I was cold again, and aching and my stomach was quite unhappy. I made a dash for the bathroom, and spent most of the next three hours there. Have you ever been shivering so hard that you thought you would fall off the toilet, but couldnb't grab a bathrobe because you were, quite literally, in the middle of a shit-storm? I snagged the shaggy bathmat and huddled under it till the storm abated. Then I took another hot bath, called in sick to work, and dashed back to the toilet.

Ewww! Gee, Roxie, thanks for sharing THAT!

I can tell when I'm really sick when I want to have Jello. I lived on Jello, tea, and chicken broth Wednesday.

Anyhow, I am keeping down solid foods today. Oatmeal tastes really good! This is two weeks in a row my Thursday has been interrupted by illness. Either I'm getting it all taken care of at one fell swoop, or my subconscious wants me to stay home and sleep more. Or maybe it's the nine hour stint administering GED tests on Tuesday that is screwing with my system.

Today, I had to put on clothes, because a Geek was coming to fix our TV remote. He just left. What a dear boy Craig was! He's a science nut, a biology and physics major in college, and a technical writer for lab equipment. And a Geek-squad employee. I showed him my moebius scarf. He was totally amazed. WE got into a lovely discussion of the value of hand work as opposed to machine made. I want to adopt him.

What is it about this time of the year? A friend just lost her father. Another friend just lost her daughter to breast cancer, and yet another friend had a big heart attack. She's younger than I am! She is recovering, but it will be a long haul. They kept her in a medically induced coma for several days, and now it's a question if she has lost any brain function. Wayyy scarey!

Cherish the people you love. Life is so uncertain!

Meanwhile, check out what a knitter can do. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopic/howaboutthat/4245919/psychiatrist-knits-anatomically-correct-wooly-brain.html

7 Comments:

  • At 1:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    A SHIT-STORM, HUH? CAN I BORROW THAT LINE SOMETIME?? ANYHOW, SIS, I HOPE THIS FINDS YOU FEELING SO MUCH BETTER. LOVE YOU. LYDIA

     
  • At 1:45 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Wow, what a week. New Boy has been enjoying your style of day off for the past few days. Throwing up too. And then there was the student this morning...don't ask.

    In the meantime, I've been praying for my friend's dd who broke her neck and back in a car accident on the 405 fwy Friday night.

    What is it about January??!

     
  • At 1:59 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Yikes, I'm glad you're feeling better. You think you have had snow: the piles around our driveway are at least four feet high, and growing.

     
  • At 5:07 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    Sheesh. Some people do anything for a day off. Seriously, hope you are feeling better and quit having the Thursday sick call.

     
  • At 8:20 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    I had what you had. Lasted 2 days. Crap. Literally.

    Next time, try the BRAT diet: any bananas (for potassium that gets depleted), rice (for starch and bulk to stop cramps), apples (for pectin to, well, "solidify"), and toast (just because goes well with all the clear liquids). Good whenever your guts rebel. Which they seem to do more often since I passed 50. Really? I'm past 50? How the hell did THAT happen?

     
  • At 8:54 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Sounds like a miserable time. I've done the wrapping in a bath mat or rug cause I couldn't get to my robe. It is no fun!

    Glad you are feeling better. Rest and recuperate.

     
  • At 10:33 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh, baby-- Jello and toast again! I'm sorry--that sucks... take another day for yourself... you, the furry-butted crapweasels and a good book...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home