Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

a quick fly by

Kate asked how to do a blog interview. Easy peasy. I send you the autographed book. You read it within the month (so we can get the Christmas rush, please.) and send me a couple of questions. I send back answers. Then you post them, along with a brief summary of the book (and encouragements to all your loyal readers to buy the entire series)on your blog. If you haven't read any of my books, I'll send you all three for your thorough study and enjoyment.

For eye-candy, here's a picture of der UberTreeHouse - the treehouse with double-pane windows, two glass doors and a front porch. If you plug in the extension cord, you have electricity, and if you drag the hose up there, you have running water. All it needs is cable TV and it could rent to some college student for $200 a month.

As a college student, I sub-let an apartment that had such a leaky roof that a previous tennant had given up, pulled all the waterlogged plaster and rotted lath off the ceiling, stapled up heavy plastic sheeting, waited till the water pooled in the center, poked a hole in it and stuck a bucket under the hole. One drip for the whole ceiling. When the rain got heavy, and the bucket filled quickly, you learned to wake before it overflowed. The sound of the drips changed as the bucket filled. That was a great old place. It was so cheap that no one wanted to mention the fire in the basement. It wasn't a big fire, and didn't seem to impair the structural integrity of the place much. I had a cast-iron clawfoot six-foot long bathtub in my bathroom.(A VERY romantic gentleman poured champagne over me in that tub.) And the main heat source was a steel drum with a stove pipe attached. Oh yeah, and someone had pulled all plaster and lath off the wall between the kitchen and the livingroom, and nailed a few 2x4s between the studs to make display shelves. VERY rustic but lots of charm.

What cheap apartment memories do you have?

5 Comments:

  • At 6:05 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    A studio apt for The Professor, Chaplain Dan and me! The interior was nice and it was furnished (with twin day beds) and there was no room for the baby crib so we put it in the closet!

     
  • At 7:09 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    One year when I was in college, I rented the $100 bedroom in a house. Legally I don't think they were supposed to rent it, it was so small, so officially I was sharing the big upstairs room.

    Anyhow, it was a tiny little room with a twin mattress on a chin-high loft, a tiny metal desk. I worked my brains out in that room

     
  • At 7:56 PM , Blogger Samaya Young said...

    Hello Sanna,

    I just recently became a member on blogger, and Amy referred me to here when she mentioned fun blogs to keep an eye on. ;-)

    Ooh, I'd love to oblige in giving you some questions in return for a FREE book, but since I don't have any steady readers yet (just been here a week) it seems like a rather moot point for your purposes.

    Good luck, though. Sounds like an interesting way to get word out there.
    Samaya

     
  • At 7:55 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    My cheap apartment was in the upstairs of an old house. It was actually a very nice place with lots of windows and sunlight. The biggest problem was my door was at the top the stairs with no landing. Carrying anything upstairs was a pain because there was no place to set it while I opened the door.

    Since I have a very limited readership, all known to you, I will content myself with buying the new book as soon as it is published.

     
  • At 9:20 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I would absolutely do an interview for/with you but I think all the people who read me already read you. I'm not sure it would help sales much but I'm game.

    I love the tree house! I have an unreasonable fear of heights (although it's not unreasonable to me) but the thought of living in a tree always seemed so romantic.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home