Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Septober bounty



DH pulled up the tomato plants, so I grabbed the last of the produce. That's it for our horticultural efforts this year. The apple and pears grow in spite of us, so they don't count. Oh, and I picked up another bag of daffodil bulbs. Is that horticultural? I hear that you can lead a hor ta culture, but you can't make her think.

Today, Sunday, is the nes plus ultra of Indian Summer. Cool in the morning, up to 84 degrees right now with a lovely, leaf-laden breeze. I'm enjoying it by sitting in the back yard with handsome Fly cat and old, blind, crippled Jack cat. The neighbor's dog has been scooting under the fence, and we don't dare leave Jack out by himself anymore. Even for a few minutes. Poor old cat. When I get feeble and forgetful, I hope someone will take me out in the fresh air now and then, too.

Last week I was at work every day. Good for the paycheck, not so much for blogging. Next week, I start two days a week at the jail. Lots of stories, but confidentiality issues preclude sharing them. So the blog may languish a bit, but I'll be with you as often as I can, even if I have to make stuff up. Oh, and next weekend, we're back to LA for an Eagle Scout awards banquet. Yay Alexander!

The weekend after that, knitting at our house. This month's theme is honey. I'm gonna bake up a big batch of scones and put out the various honies I've been collecting. I have some honey with chunks of the comb included. What am I supposed to do with that? Strain it through cheesecloth and make candles with the wax? Anyhow, I'm also looking for honey cooky recipes and maybe some sort of quick bread or coffeecake. for fruit, pomegranates and grapes I think. And something savory. Any suggestions?

3 Comments:

  • At 9:28 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Some people chew up and eat the wax. It's supposed to have health benefits.

    I don't have any honey recipes for you, even though my dad has kept bees on and off since I was a kid. I like it in tea and on hot biscuits, and my husband uses quantities to make mead.

    Maybe I'll go make some baking powder biscuits, yum.

     
  • At 9:39 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Beautiful harvest. In spite of my complaints that the days are shorter (already it's dark at 7!) I really love the fall. It feels good to pull on the warm clothes and wear socks and shoes again.

     
  • At 6:12 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Mmm... I love your Indian Summer in Oregon--almost worth the banana slugs! (We're still in the high nineties here--ouch!)

    I'm sure someone will take you outside and air you out, Roxie--but I don't know if you'll ever be too feeble to be afraid of the neighbor's dog.

    And yah harvest tomatoes--and yay honey--I'll miss you should your blog languish, but I always love your virtual parties!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home