Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, September 19, 2008

but is it arrrrt?

Ahoy, mateys! It's National Talk Like a Pirate Day. So, ye scurvy sea dogs and comely wenches, let's consider what constitutes Arrrt.



At the community college where I work, there is quite an active art faculty, and large scale sculptures have a habit of manifesting without warning. Here we have a study in balance and suspension. The potato swinging in front of the fork is actually thinly hollow - cement spread over substrata of some sort. It would be a lot more fun if it were resonant, but I guess that wasn't the point. It doesn't even swing freely and takes rather a good shove to get it moving. It doesn't even make a good sundial and it''s no fun to play with. Is it art? Does it move you? Does it tell you something, anything abaout life?



Another of the department profs is also a welder. This thing at least has the benefit of providing seating and a pleasant view of the passing students. It's aligned so that the shadows change with the seasons, and people frequently sit out here to smoke. But you know, this one doesn't speak to me either.



A solid cement sofa. perfectly molded, right down to the twisted finge. Oddly enough, though it is no harder than the welded rusty metal, no one is willing to sit on this. Do you want it in your house?

How about a welded rebar egg? Is this art? I could make up something profound about the transparency of seminal drive to bring vision to fruition, This one almost pleases me.



And it's fun to play in. There's a hole at one end you can crawl through, and then it rolls under your weight. Of course, the rusty rebar isn't tender to the skin . . .




Here, maybe this is art! It's vibrant with nuance and meaning, speaking to the virile spirit of . . . nahhh




Ferns growing on the sculpted edges of structural ornament on one of the old buildings down town. It makes me happy to look at this. I could put it in my living room and see it every day and smile. Does that make it art?



This --THIS is art. I'm sure of it. It should be placed in galleries and people should pay money for a chance to appreciate it, right? Am I RRRRrright, my fine fellow pirates?

7 Comments:

  • At 4:47 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Absolutely RRRrrright! THAT's art.

    None of those sculptures spoke to me. Maybe they're mute, not muse.

     
  • At 6:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, when you really get to thinking about it, it's only art if I like it. Seriously. If I don't like it, it's only "garbage". To each their own, including the "artist". Just because someone made/design/created something doesn't mean it's art. It may be a creation, but not always art. What constitutes art is a personal thing...

     
  • At 9:06 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I missed Talk Like a Pirate Day! Aarrrggghhh. I was at the Philadelphia Museum of Art and on display was a ball of twine with a nail driven through it on display. I asked the docent, "how is that art? I can do that" She said, "ah, but you didn't do it first". So, evidently, if you think of it, it's art. And yes, your beautiful scarf is art and I ould hang it up and derive pleasure from looking at it.

     
  • At 9:16 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    Bugger, I missed it too and I'd even marked it in my diary. Damn: (

    But, I love, love, love this scarf and it's beautiful colourways : ).

     
  • At 3:45 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Dave said it well; eye of the beholder and all that.

    Your scarf IS ART. Love it ~ the colors and the design.

     
  • At 2:03 PM , Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

    yeah, none of those sculptures spoke to me. have you heard of the tree cozy project? maybe a couple hand-knitted cushions and an afghan would make the cement sofa more appealing :)
    your scarf is definitely art though - and i like the fern-in-the-architecture shot too.

     
  • At 6:59 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    That last one, definitely art! And the babe and the bike ain't bad either!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home