Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hard to believe

The TGoA show is in town. I went, I saw, I fondled, and I bought nothing. Oh, there wre all osrts of little fibery voisces calling enticingly to me, but I could also hear all the lonesome little voices from my stash crying, "When is it MY turn? How long do I have to sit here, waiting to be used?" I saw some wonderfully aquatic-colored rayon that would have been beautiful held together with some sport wool in my stash, but when it came to determining which skeins of rayon to buy, I couldn't remember the precise shade of blue my wool is. If I have so much yarn that I can't remember it all, and the credit card is swollen with expenses from the LA trip, I can live without buying more yarn. Anyhow, in two weeks, the OFFF will arrive, and I want to drop a bundle on Fantasy Fibers Mystery Batts.

It was fascinating to wander around and look at the things people were wearing. We do have SUCH fun with textures and colors and shapes and drapings. I was surprised to see so few vendors, but really, the purpose of TKGA is the classes and seminars and all. And there were so many smiling faces that I can only assume the show was a success. There were also a lot of faces that had the dazed, glazed look of a python that has just swallowed an elephant which may still be kicking. Trying to process and digest . . . Intellectual and sensory overload.

No photos. I'm not a good enough photographer to make the most of the feast of colors, and all too soon, one astounding display of yarns looks very like every other astounding display of yarns when condensed into a 4x5 or smaller swatch.

And blast it, I have a migraine coming on, so I ca'nt see well enough to type. It's like looking at the world through the side of a prism. All I get any more is the light show and the subsequent glue-brain. The pain has quit assaulting me. Thank God for menopause!

7 Comments:

  • At 10:08 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    I get those visual effects from migraines which does make reading and typing very interesting.

    Sounds like you had a great time at TKGA. Hope the rest of your weekend is just as nice.

     
  • At 4:06 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    I'm so sad that I never took up knitting while I was living States side cos I missed all these great workshops. It was one of those vast conspiracies of stupidity. I'm a seeing/doing learner, learning much more slowly without demonstrations and practising straight away after. Oh well, one day this will happen.

    Sorry to hear about the migraine and I hope that you can sleep it off. That's what I had to do about mine. They were weird ones. I used to get a spot of light that would travel across my field of vision like the wavey microsoft windows symbol. Apparently this is a very common type. Doesn't happen anymore - cut down on caffeine and computer use!

     
  • At 8:36 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I get them too. It's weird to look right at something and not be able to see it through the movement. I am heading to a small show in early October, the Garden State Grower's Association. I've heard it's a good place to learn about wool and spinning and such. I'm looking forward to it and saving a few pennies in case I want to indulge....

     
  • At 11:15 PM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    I was there today - looked for familiar faces....didn't see you! Took a finishing class with Nancie Wiseman - great class. Was really disappointed with the small number of vendors....didn't buy a thing. Next year it's back to the old OFF and Blacksheep...much more fun!

     
  • At 5:47 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    So sorry to read you are not too well ... hope you feel better soon.

    Pleased you had a good time at TKGA.

     
  • At 5:52 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Aren't you good, not to even buy a single skein--I'm proud. I couldn't have done it:-)

     
  • At 11:53 AM , Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

    lately i've been resisting yarns too for the same reason. there seems to be so much yarn in there, and although i pet them when i walk by, it's not quite the same as fulfilling their destiny. at least i know i never have to worry about SABLE :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home