Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

And then they threw more money at me

You guys are wonderful! Thanks ever so for your input. Yes, even compared to most people's commute, that drive will be a bugger. I wrote and told them so. And then they threw more money at me. I make $13.50 an hour at my happy little bit of a job at Clackamas Community College. I was asking $15 an hour for this long commute which would have me taking GED tests to yet another county jail. When I expressed my reluctance to make the long drive, they offered me $17 an hour. For two ten hour days a week. For six weeks. The ugly weather rarely starts before mid October, and I'll be done about then. For six weeks, I can manage it. And this, even after taxes, will help with our credit card debt. Lordee I do hate paying the interest! So I will likely be less available for the next month and a half, and I likely will whine and whinge about how weary I am, but come our vacation in December, I will be so glad I did it!

On an agricultural front, does anyone have any idea what kind of apple this is? Our tree is throwing down pounds of them. They are nice and crisp, not terribly juicy, and about as delicious as a potatoe. Not mealy, just not sweet or tart or apple-y flavored.


Here is the blue cotton baby blanket, all finished and edged with crochet. Yes, I do wander on the dark side when it seems appropriate. A simple crochet border handily uses up every freaking last inch of the yarn. When you are doing ch3, sc in the loop mesh, you can stop anywhere after the first three rows, and no one can ever tell.

Last photo. This is what August looks like to me. If you are arachnaphobic, go leave me a scathing comment and do not look any closer or read further. If not, look carefull in the center of the photo. See that little golden dot? See the regular highlights around it? The young spiders with their webs set in the sunshine, gathering insects and glints of light are all about August in my mind. They stretch out their tablecloths, and food comes to them. August is so causually abundant! I should have gotten a shot of our cherry tomato plants but I was too busy stuffing my mouth with those shots of sweetness while the hose filled the planters. The early morning cool, the smell of the happy plants and the water on the driveway, the passionate caress of sunshine on my skin . . .Oh, I do love August!

10 Comments:

  • At 10:59 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    Glad to the hear the new temporary job made it worth your while. I didn't post yesterday, but my husband drives nearly an hour each way and has for years because our cities are so far apart in the desert.

    Here's to paying down debt!

     
  • At 4:05 PM , Blogger Yolanda said...

    Hey , I am from Oregon too.I am glad to have found your blog.

     
  • At 4:05 PM , Blogger Yolanda said...

    Hey , I am from Oregon too.I am glad to have found your blog.

     
  • At 4:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Roxie, is it possible it is a Gravenstein that just isn't quite ripe yet? Are you being totally overwhelmed? I might pick some up for applesauce.

     
  • At 8:44 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Applesauce or spiced apples would be good. I'm not sure what kind it is, though. I see lots of spiders around, we seem to have more ground spiders this year. I see the webs in the grass. I am loving August this year. Everything is green and full since we have had a lot of rain. Usually by not things are brown and dry so this is a nice change.

     
  • At 9:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh, if it's a short-term job, DO IT!
    And, those apples look like some my grandmother would grow and use for pies. She said the not-so-juicy were good for that.

     
  • At 9:59 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Like tlbwest, my first thought when I saw the apple was Gravenstein.

    Oh, is that job out in my old neck of the woods? There are back ways to go. I don't know how much faster they'd be but the roads amble through the country and the trip would be prettier than the freeway.

     
  • At 6:57 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Not really afraid of spiders unless they are on me. That web is pretty.

    And the baby blanket is fantastic. What a great idea to put such a pretty border on it.

     
  • At 8:18 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    So beautiful--both the knitting AND August. I see August huddling in the A/C--it's 110 out there!

     
  • At 3:37 AM , Blogger Kate said...

    Man are you going to bored of that drive quick. I'm glad that they offered you extra $$ to compensate for the extra fuel you'd have to buy. No way should you be expected to fund the State in it's the educational responsibilities, for heaven's sake!

    Spiders shudder/brrrrr.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home