Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, May 17, 2008

It's a good life


This is my swing chair - a Hawaiian design that allows maximum air-flow and superb hang-time. I have it slung close to the ground because I do not hav total reliance on the dead branch it's hanging from. But oh, the bliss of sitting in the hot air and gently swinging in the breeze, sipping some ice water, and reading something light - or maybe reading nothing. Just sitting and swinging while the brain slips into neutral and time becomes irrelevant. I love, love, love my swing chair! I'm headed there shortly.
But in the meantime, it has been a lovely day. DH and I went out for breakfast as usual. I had the fruit plate and it was a symphony of ripe sweetness! Then he mowed the lawn, and I took off for the monthly meeting of the Portland Purls. Usually knitting meets at Chez Matthews, but this time, TW very graciously offered to hostess. Her home is vintage and gracious and decorated with such elegance and charm. And in her front yard is a superb copper beech tree. I tried to get photos, but it's so big that by the time I was far enough away to photograph it, there were other houses in the way. The tips of the branches sweep the ground this year. There is one branch across the walk up to the house that has untill this spring, been just about finger-tip high for me if I stand on my toes and stretch. Today, the burden of leaves is so abundant that that particular branch skims my head as I walk beneath it. These bowing branches make a shady, sun-dappled room of the front yard. It's a really neat feel, and my inner five-year-old was so delighted that I stood on the walk cooing with glee till TW opened the front door and invited me in.
TW is such a magnificent hostess. She got out the crystal goblets for our iced tea. She served warm apple crisp and cherry scones. We talked about religion and spirituality and raising kids. MJ was remarking on the trials of 15 year old boys. I reminded her, "If you shoot him, you gotta eat him. That's what my dad used to tell my older brothers when they wanted to shoot crows or skunks or other vermin." I was helping DB with a skeing of Lorna's Laces laceweight that had been assaulted by two kittens. We made headway, but two hours of tender unraveling was not enough to fix it.
And now, I have a scarf, a sweater, and an un-ending series of baby sokies on the needles, and I'm going to go hang in my swing chair and meditate on the zen of awareness. As has been said, Be Here Now.

8 Comments:

  • At 9:34 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    Just about all the leaves off the 3 apricot trees in our front garden have dropped. We've had a cold snap and so they've turned a beautiful burnished red and gently swan dived to the ground. Now thei're mostly gray spikey branches calling out for pruning. Must get around to that this year. I was too pregnant last year!

    Winter is definitely here - 3 days of rain. Hurrah!

     
  • At 11:06 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    You live a life of wonder and activity--thank you so much for sharing it!!! (And I can't believe there was a skein of yarn that even you could not untangle!!! But Lorna's Laces can be VERY touchy!)

     
  • At 11:38 PM , Blogger TinkingBell said...

    Aaah zazen - I sit!!

    I loved those lines from 'Tea with the Black Dragon'

    I am bad at sitting - but I think I could sit and swing gently in that chair!

     
  • At 9:36 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    I love the way you savor each moment in the day. You also make me wish we had a tree to hang a chair from but most desert trees just don't work for that :-)

     
  • At 11:35 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Enjoy your wonderful swinging days. Have you gone from swinging twenties and thirties to swinging fifties??

    The Portland Purls meeting sounds like great fun. Give everyone my greetings!

     
  • At 12:26 PM , Blogger Shan said...

    That looks like a great chair!

     
  • At 4:23 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    What a wonderful hat you have on! I tried on a hat in your honor yesterday (a pink cowboy hat) but the photo is too blurry. I think I could get used to a chair like that.

     
  • At 7:49 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Love the hat. You have such terrific style. What an inspiration you are.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home