Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, May 16, 2008

The diet's shot to hell . . .


. . . and me without a handbasket. I've been sooo self indulgent today. Caught up on all the blogs I follow, did a jigsaw puzzle (250 pieces) online, then took myself out for tea. Isn't this civilized?
Then, I met a friend for lunch (I love being ladies who lunch) and the pub we chose offered pasta with prawns sauteed with garlic and spinnach in butter. I could smell the sauteed garlic. I was helpless. My intellect shorted out and my hedonism took over. I ate every bit! I even wiped the plate with my bread. Yum, yum!! It was a working man's pub, and we got there early. As the meal progressed, it became more and more difficult to hear one another. All these warehousemen and truck drivers bellowing at the top of their lungs. It was deafening. Maybe we can meet somewhere else for the next meal. Somewhere we can get in a really good gossip.
Of course, I could make it all better if I just took myself out for a nice walk this afternoon. But the temperature is headed for 90 (remember, it was 68 two days ago) and all I want to do is lie back in my swing chair in the shade and perspire gently. And you know, when I'm on my death bed (With clogged arteries from all that butter no doubt) I will not say, "Gee, I wish I had done more sweaty hikes in the hot weather." I am a lot more likely to say, "I wish I had spent more time in my swing chair." So that's where I'm headed now. Photos tomorrow.
PS. I spent some time and thought on my outfit for lunch. Then a young lady passing me on the street said, "That's a really nice outfit." It was just the cherry on the frosting of the cupcake of my day. Gratuitous validation. Had I been a kitty, I would have rolled on the sidewalk at her feet.
It takes so little time to acknowledge when someone is looking nice, and it means so much to them. Let's all try giving out one more compliment a week. (a day?) Remember, what goes around, comes around.

9 Comments:

  • At 4:19 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    I would've licked the plate.

     
  • At 5:25 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    Henry looks like he'll be a really decorative addition to the family. Love his markings! I'm sorry but the student waiting for test photo just brought out a cold sweat on my brow. When I was at uni I selected subjects on the basis of whether or not they were going to be examined. Of the 2 exams I had to do, the only exam I failed was a compulsory stats subject. Tests, we hates them.

    As for your perfect day, revel in it! I would have been there at the trough and then some. And I make it a policy to compliment someone every day. I also try to remember to try and make that someone the fella I love at least once a week. It's too easy to gt into the tired take for granted mode at the moment...

     
  • At 9:17 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Someone reminded me last year by her example to 'humanize' the servers. Use their names, ask how their day is. Now I try to remember to make eye contact with servers and clerks.

    I actually went shopping today--not a usual activity for me-- and ended up in a women's clothing store and had a great time because the clerk talked with me and treated me like a friend. She has learned the secret,too.

     
  • At 11:32 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Ah, hedonism... it's desperately underrated. (I compliment my kids a LOT! Nice dress, you saw your barber today, nice jacket...you're right--it means the world to them!)

     
  • At 5:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Mmmm prawns with garlic. Pasta. Spinach. Mmmmmm.
    And that's a beautiful photo today, m'lady.

     
  • At 8:40 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    I bought my swimsuit last year. Broke the bank.

    If I could spin anything? A Silk blend. And then I'd dye it blue! (surprise, surprise) I carded and spun llama and silk together a few years ago. Heavenly!

     
  • At 9:55 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    Compliments do make people light up. I will practice giving them more often and appreciate the reminder.

    Your lunch sounds positively wonderful and I absolutely would have licked the plate!

     
  • At 1:21 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I had a hedonistic meal last night and today have promised myself to eat lighter. So far, I have had a donut for breakfast and a hot dog for lunch. I guess I broke my promise. Today is so lovely and the rain is due back tonight and tomorrow so I have no guilt about just enjoying today. Even if it is Saturday, chore day.

     
  • At 7:47 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    You made me laugh out loud ". . . I will not say, "Gee, I wish I had done more sweaty hikes in the hot weather." And so true.

    It's feels so good to make someone's day like that. You can just feel the bounce-back from their energy lift!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home