Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I have a thing for hats


. . . and novelty yarn from the dollar store. I don't know what it is. Other people knit lovely, loving, useful socks. Or sweaters. Or scarves or mittens or whatever. I have this fatal attraction to hats. I like to make them. I like to wear them. I like to play with them. When I'm very cold at night, I'll even sleep in one.
A hat is more than just a thermal layer, though that function may come into play occasionally. But a hat is often a statement of occupation. A man who holds many responsibilities is said to wear many hats. Fireman's hat, Policeman's hat, cowboy hat or Green Beret all give instant recognition.
And when it comes to fashion, what accessory beats a hat for flair and drama? A broad-brimmed sun hat is not only practical, it finishes that summer outfit. Tie a scarf around the crown with the ends fluttering in the wind, and the boys won't be able to keep their eyes off you. If you are feeling blue, wear a red hat. Half the men you see will smile at you. If you want to fascinate someone, wear a tiny confection of a few bits of ribbon and a veil, and he won't be able to resist the mystery.
A long face is balanced by a wide brim. A round face needs a high crown. In Australia, at the - is it the Melbourne Cup? - the ladies are wearing bits of millinery called "fascinators" Just some feathers, beads and a cockade of ribbon wired to cling and accent the hairstyle and the damsel's innate beauty. That's what hats are all about, friends. If it doesn't accent your innate beauty, cheer you up, and tell the world who you are, then it's just a thermal layer. Why not wear a hat tomorrow?

6 Comments:

  • At 7:47 AM , Blogger Kate said...

    I have several hats. One is my dad's old conductor's cap. It's blue and white striped and has a Jersey Central Railroad patch on the front. It's worn, fraying at the brim, so thin that it has lost almost all of its shape and I love it. I had to beg my dad to have it; it's one of the few things I have that reminds me of him. I also have a green-ish hat I snagged from the boys' section of Target. It's my everyday hat and goes with just about everything I wear.

     
  • At 7:59 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    And with tongue firmly, firmly in cheek, I ask,

    "Who does a blue fun fur hat tell the world you are?"

     
  • At 9:26 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I love to look at and try on hats but I almost never buy or make them. I don't like the way I look in a hat (maybe I haven't found the right one?). And knitted hats make my head itch. I have a hard time in the winter because I know I should have a hat on but it has to be realllllly cold before I put one one.

     
  • At 11:12 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Next time I am feeling red, I will wear a blue hat.

     
  • At 12:18 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Alas, my darling, I have a ginormous head, with too much hair. But I heartily enjoy making them for my normally noggined offspring, so maybe that will count:-)

     
  • At 3:22 PM , Blogger Aubra Penner said...

    Stop, vile temptress! I need no more hats! And I have... absolutely... no... novelty yarn in my stash. *shifty eyes* Really.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home